Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Contributing Upstream Improvements To Plymouth Ahead Of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    And because of most screens transition process from resolution X to resolution Y includes abrupt visual transitions (black for 2-3+ seconds, multiple blinks, whatever). I suppose it would be theoretically possible for the screen firmware to do a visual slide from one resolution to another (Photoshop transition effects on your screen?) but most digital screens optimize for a consistent resolution, not transitions (it might be interesting to see what an older analogue display does with such transitions, if someone has an older analogue display and an older analogue graphics card).
    From what I remember, that's how the Commodore Amiga works and why it has that support for having two things displayed, one as a pull-down tray from the top of the screen. It switches video timing part-way down the screen.

Of course, the Super Nintendo's Mode 7 is probably king of effects like that, since things like the road surface in racing games like Top Gear are accomplished by setting different background scaling and translation parameters for each scanline. (I'm guessing there's a scanline interrupt they can hook, but, for all I know, they might have had to pour through machine language timing charts to get the timings to line up.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 07 April 2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Windows does it, so that's what people expect.
      Fedora and OpenSUSE do that already, Ubuntu can't be different either.
      Not my Windows (Windows 7) and that's what I expect.
      I would like to see a progress bar instead of company X or Y, which looks like ads to me.

Comment

Hey Michael. How is it going with the performance regressions of Ubuntu 20.04 on your Intel laptop? That was a serious finding that IMO deserves a follow up. A good idea would be to contact Canonical to see what they know (if they know lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

How about not picking anything ?
          I'm already spammed by the BIOS before the bootloader.
          I don't need to be reminded again what brand of laptop I bought.
          Normally and if I put Ubuntu on a flash drive, I want to see what operating system I'm booting not what brand of laptop or motherboard the computer has.
          i find this pretty idiotic and childish.
          I remember when I was using Nvidia with proprietary driver I think and they had stupid idea to put their logo before the computer booted, which I really hated.
          That is just your opinion. No one else really cares about that opinion tough

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

How about not picking anything ?
            I'm already spammed by the BIOS before the bootloader.
            I don't need to be reminded again what brand of laptop I bought.
            Normally and if I put Ubuntu on a flash drive, I want to see what operating system I'm booting not what brand of laptop or motherboard the computer has.
            i find this pretty idiotic and childish.
            I remember when I was using Nvidia with proprietary driver I think and they had stupid idea to put their logo before the computer booted, which I really hated.
            You're "reminded what brand of laptop you bought" every time you look at it. The vast majority of laptops have logos front and back.
            Last edited by vegabook; 07 April 2020, 04:38 AM.

Comment

The rationale is that the firmware will show the logo anyway before booting the OS, and any change to that will cause flicker, so you might as well keep showing it until the login.

Seriously wtf is this "free advertising" bs, the laptop has a bigass logo on the chassis, for chrissake.
              Unfortunately people get bent out of shape over trivial things. i can't remember the last time i watched my system boot, its "turn on", leave the room and get coffee started

Comment

The rationale is that the firmware will show the logo anyway before booting the OS
                First thing on every new desktop is to switch off this logo crap and back to standard BIOS information. I like it the way debian does:

BIOS info (my setting)
                GRUB menu
                boot progress text info
                login

Comment

As expected: Some news about a Canonical contribution and the bashmob lines up. As usual with totally absurd arguments: "advertising", "prolonged boot times", reiterations of how Canonical does not contribute enough, you know, the usual crap. Isn't that getting boring?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Tuxee It is always interesting to see people going great lengths to deny even the most obvious facts.
                    Yes. After Ubuntu added support for UEFI Secure Boot, for instance, it was a known fact that Linux had been killed forever and it would no longer be possible to use Linux on PCs without entering an agreement with Microsoft.

Despite the fact that it was obviously true, by the fact that so many people said so, a lot of people just denied it, as it it _wasn't_ true, but just some out of control conspiracy meme.

When are the deniers ever going to learn that everything they read on the internet is actually true?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Yes. After Ubuntu added support for UEFI Secure Boot, for instance, it was a known fact that Linux had been killed forever and it would no longer be possible to use Linux on PCs without entering an agreement with Microsoft.

Despite the fact that it was obviously true, by the fact that so many people said so, a lot of people just denied it, as it it _wasn't_ true, but just some out of control conspiracy meme.

When are the deniers ever going to learn that everything they read on the internet is actually true?
                      Please get out of the house, get some fresh hair, please. Virus or not, please do yourself, us and your brain a favor. Can't even believe trolls still need to exist.
                      This makes me almost miss debianxfce....

Comment

Working...
                      X