Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Contributing Upstream Improvements To Plymouth Ahead Of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Please get out of the house, get some fresh hair, please. Virus or not, please do yourself, us and your brain a favor. Can't even believe trolls still need to exist.
    This makes me almost miss debianxfce....
    I'd say that's sarcasm by jo-erlend. (But o.c. we all miss debianxfce...)

Comment

I've always wanted the login manager to have an option to be able to show any systemd/init errors so Plymouth being able to get fsck readouts is a step in the right direction. I hope SDDM gets something similar.

Tuxee Your post gave my brain Garth Brooks/South Park meme

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Tuxee It is always interesting to see people going great lengths to deny even the most obvious facts.
        You are one of the last people in the world that should be talking about facts/truth. For example, in this thread, you blame Canonicals shift in strategy on the CLA, when in reality, they chose to compete in the server/cloud market because it was far more lucrative than "convergence." Get out of here with your trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Love how Canonical contributing upstream is newsworthy.
          It is not noteworthy! But it is so rare that Canonical contributes something, that when it happens everyone talks about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Not my Windows (Windows 7) and that's what I expect.
            Windows 7 is EOL. Might as well talk about XP boot process.

Windows 10 (and 8 for that matter) do that, so that's the "new standard" for what people expects on boot.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

Unfortunately people get bent out of shape over trivial things. i can't remember the last time i watched my system boot, its "turn on", leave the room and get coffee started
              non-SSD and/or non-systemd user detected.

I'm with you, but on different hardware. I don't see my system boot (on the laptop anyway) because SSD and systemd boot is so fast that it's really a "aand it's gone" thing, like 5 seconds of which 2 are used by UEFI init.

On the desktop I have a SAS card so the UEFI init phase sits there thinking about things for 15-20 seconds before actually booting. I should have really erased the UEFI/BIOS boot of the card when I crossflashed it, but I really don't mind that on a desktop anyway. I'm not rebooting constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

First thing on every new desktop is to switch off this logo crap and back to standard BIOS information. I like it the way debian does:

BIOS info (my setting)
                GRUB menu
                boot progress text info
                login
                Meh, BIOS info screen nowadays does not tell much and it initializes the screen in shitty resolution causing even more flicker during boot, also you can't change that on most laptops.

Yeah on my desktop I disable the boot splash as I like to see what is going up too, on my laptop I leave the splash as it's a work PC and I don't want to look like Hackerman when I open and power up the laptop in front of a client or something.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng
                  If you examine the flask stick itself, it takes painfully skilled & detailed searching to determine which Ubuntu is on the flash stick.
                  When you plug it in, you will see the name in your file manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Normally and if I put Ubuntu on a flash drive, I want to see what operating system I'm booting not what brand of laptop or motherboard the computer has.
                    i find this pretty idiotic and childish.
                    You write Ubuntu on a flash drive and immediately forget what you did and need a boot splash to remind you?
                    I find this pretty idiotic and childish.

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                    But I do agree the OEM logo is maybe-useless-but-definitely-free advertising and should be removed.
                    Personally I wanted a custom wallpaper instead, but only found hackish methods.
                    It's just a theme of Plymouth. You can put whatever graphic or animation there.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      You write Ubuntu on a flash drive and immediately forget what you did and need a boot splash to remind you?
                      I find this pretty idiotic and childish.

It's just a theme of Plymouth. You can put whatever graphic or animation there.
                      There are cases where that flash drive I need to boot again after a week or month, just looking at the flash drive may not remind me what I've put last time on it.
                      I don't want any anymation on it, I mean a a simple loading bar would've been perfect, but I don't have the time or the will for this.

Comment

Working...
                      X