Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Starts April With Big Performance Jump For Local I/O + 50~95% Faster Samba Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Starts April With Big Performance Jump For Local I/O + 50~95% Faster Samba Transfers

Phoronix: KDE Starts April With Big Performance Jump For Local I/O + 50~95% Faster Samba Transfers

KDE developers managed to squeeze some long-problematic I/O optimizations into the KDE code-base this week along with other enhancements to make for a nice first week of April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't use KDE, but to transfer files 50-95% faster through samba, that is one really nice update! Taken way too long to fix something that important (that's a lot of possible wasted time), but still really nice.
    Last edited by ix900; 05 April 2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

"under perfect conditions this yields approximately mount-level copy performance, unfortunately those are hard to hit so on average it's usually less (somewhere in the range of 10 to 20% depending on the actual file size and server type)."

How does one manage to still lose 10 to 20% of performance when we're talking about just 100 MB/s of throughput while a modern CPU core can easily handle 500 MB/s of TCP traffic and man GB/s of local memory transfers, you ask?

By dragging on an unnecessarily convoluted, arcane and superseded concept like KIO.

Comment

Originally posted by johannesburgel View Post
        "under perfect conditions this yields approximately mount-level copy performance, unfortunately those are hard to hit so on average it's usually less (somewhere in the range of 10 to 20% depending on the actual file size and server type)."

How does one manage to still lose 10 to 20% of performance when we're talking about just 100 MB/s of throughput while a modern CPU core can easily handle 500 MB/s of TCP traffic and man GB/s of local memory transfers, you ask?

By dragging on an unnecessarily convoluted, arcane and superseded concept like KIO.
        I agree it is not the best and confusing especially for new users. Did you ever try to copy a lot of files and then Plasma crashed somewhere in the middle? Or why is it copying e.g. a video first from my SSD to a temp folder before it is going to move that file to a network folder and by this losing the ability to show the copy speed? This area really deserves some improvements.

Anyway, my biggest concern is still Plasma Wayland. And the subsurface issue didn't see any activity in a long time. Firefox Wayland has as well copy and paste issues. Hope these issues will addressed soon, otherwise Plasma 5.19 won't be exciting for me.

Comment

I hope that one day, if not already with these changes, it can reach the Windows 7 stable transfer speed of 111 MB/s on a direct Gigabit connection (no router) between two computers.
          Last edited by Danny3; 05 April 2020, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Nice change with the speed fix, just got to wait until August now

I think a month or so ago someone was mentioning that specific performance issue with Dolphin in these forums and that had something to do with a default 32KB value that'd been left in the code base for a long time(I think they linked to it).

GTK programs running on Plasma now default to using the Breeze icon theme.
            Probably meant Breeze cursor theme? That's the only GTK match on the blog post, icon theme was a previous entry already covered.

Comment

Originally posted by johannesburgel View Post
              GvFS does not achieve full CIFS speed either.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                GvFS does not achieve full CIFS speed either.
                Yeah but it reached 90% speed like 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  Or why is it copying e.g. a video first from my SSD to a temp folder before it is going to move that file to a network folder and by this losing the ability to show the copy speed?

This is already fixed. Make sure you have kio-fuse installed and then non-KIO-using apps will locally mount the remote location and open the file directly, rather than first copying it to a local cache. Of course you need to have kio-fuse installed and be using a recent version of KIO (5.67 IIRC? Or mayber 5.68) as it's a very new feature.

Comment

One thing that really annoy me is the way a file transfer progress is shown. The progress bar visualize the reading rate of the file, not the writing. So reading can long finish before the writing.

The problem with this is that KDE tells you the file operation is finished and you can remove the device, but in reality is still occurring. If you didn't pay attention or worst, if your device didn't have a activity light, you may try to remove it before the operation is completed, with bad consequences to your hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X