X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bug that prevents me from opening extension preferences. 😥️

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      The GNOME Shell doesn't use "Adwaita". The stock shell theme has no name.
      You are right _BUT_ the appearance of the window title bars (curvy corners) _IS_ part of the Adwaita theme. My suggestion is to switch both "shell" and "applications" to another theme (like Zuki Tre)

Comment

Thanks Britoid and George99

I know enough now to get what you are both saying. Stock Gnome has a built-in shell theme without a name, the default GTK (or applications??) theme is Adwaita. Both the default no-name shell theme and Adwaita GTK/applications theme have the curvy thing going on, working in tandem, but are independent.

If I install a theme package, like Zukitre or Zukitwo, as mentioned above, I get both the shell theme and GTK/applications theme, which also work in tandem, and ditches the curves! Got it, and yeah they both look great in my ever so humble opinion!

Thanks again!

Comment

Gnome is great, they have a great vision of uniformity, quality, simplicity and productivity -- for the most part it gets out of your way and lets you work and that's wonderful.

Next order of business -- complaining. As others have pointed out Gnome, KDE and big Shells have a bad habit of over-integrating.

For me this breaks its usability for me as a primary window manager. Having so much interdependency it's a Monolithic choice -- GTK or Qt when in reality both are the wrong choice for me. The right choice is individual modular desktop components that can be added or removed as needed.

For me it's the Unix way and it sure as hell is nice if X-developer removes features, breaks shit, etc... that I can just uninstall their product and continue on without having ANY alternatives that work awkwardly like Nautilus in KDE or Dolphin in Gnome.

To me, Krita is a good example of software done right -- it is a Graphics Editor FIRST and a QT application second.

It feels like so many bundled apps are GTK or QT first, and really miss their opportunity of being great products on their own. It's just putting the cart before the horse.

You would think in 2020 we would have more independence and severability and yet so much of Linux is interdependent and not modular -- systemd, gnome, etc... I think this is where there has been a trend for serious users to get behind i3, sway, and others this last year, we're tired of dependence and major bugs breaking the Graphical Interface. (Also a reason I am done with Nvidia)

Comment

Just upgraded to 3.34.5. Still not much interested in 3.36 :/

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Gnome is great, they have a great vision of uniformity, quality, simplicity and productivity -- for the most part it gets out of your way and lets you work and that's wonderful.

Next order of business -- complaining. As others have pointed out Gnome, KDE and big Shells have a bad habit of over-integrating.

For me this breaks its usability for me as a primary window manager. Having so much interdependency it's a Monolithic choice -- GTK or Qt when in reality both are the wrong choice for me. The right choice is individual modular desktop components that can be added or removed as needed.

For me it's the Unix way and it sure as hell is nice if X-developer removes features, breaks shit, etc... that I can just uninstall their product and continue on without having ANY alternatives that work awkwardly like Nautilus in KDE or Dolphin in Gnome.

To me, Krita is a good example of software done right -- it is a Graphics Editor FIRST and a QT application second.

It feels like so many bundled apps are GTK or QT first, and really miss their opportunity of being great products on their own. It's just putting the cart before the horse.

You would think in 2020 we would have more independence and severability and yet so much of Linux is interdependent and not modular -- systemd, gnome, etc... I think this is where there has been a trend for serious users to get behind i3, sway, and others this last year, we're tired of dependence and major bugs breaking the Graphical Interface. (Also a reason I am done with Nvidia)
              While the voice of reason is much needed here, your whole first sentence is nonsense. Gnome is uniform? Umm hell no. Uniformity is something gnome doesn't care at all about. Quality? Definitely not, just perform an update and watch unexpected things break almost every time. Simplicity? Yup, Ok, I can give it that one, it's so simple it's not even functional as a desktop. Productivity? Ok, but only if you consider the asinine layout which requires too many additional navigation steps at every turn to be productive, but even then the result is looking at huge amounts of white space...

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

The GNOME Shell doesn't use "Adwaita". The stock shell theme has no name.
                Well shit you're right. How did I never notice that?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  While the voice of reason is much needed here, your whole first sentence is nonsense. Gnome is uniform? Umm hell no. Uniformity is something gnome doesn't care at all about. Quality? Definitely not, just perform an update and watch unexpected things break almost every time. Simplicity? Yup, Ok, I can give it that one, it's so simple it's not even functional as a desktop. Productivity? Ok, but only if you consider the asinine layout which requires too many additional navigation steps at every turn to be productive, but even then the result is looking at huge amounts of white space...
                  Actually, I very much agree with ElectricPrism 's statement. On my distro, Gome has definitely fewer issues than other DE out of the box.

Also, Gnome is keyboard centric and I'm much faster than with anything else as I barely "navigate" (obviously you have to get used to it).

Last, I really don't get the "white space". I use Gnome (original not Ubuntu/Mint versions) on 13" laptops and 32" displays and I have few complaints. It has a minimalistic topbar and you can even blend out the titlebars.
                  Last edited by mppix; 02 April 2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Actually, I very much agree with ElectricPrism 's statement. On my distro, Gome has definitely fewer issues than other DE out of the box.

Also, Gnome is keyboard centric and I'm much faster than with anything else as I barely "navigate" (obviously you have to get used to it).

Last, I really don't get the "white space". I use Gnome (original not Ubuntu/Mint versions) on 13" laptops and 32" displays and I have few complaints. It has a minimalistic topbar and you can even blend out the titlebars.
                    If you switch to a compact GTK theme (windows title bar), a compact shell theme and the Unite extension, then go back to Adwaita and no extension, you'll understand how much white space there is. Such a waste!
                    On a laptop, that's 1.5 cm of vertical space you just lost to display a page or a text.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I have a bug that prevents me from opening extension preferences. 😥️
                      I've just discovered that this is not a bug. I have been waiting for days for an update that would fix this issue.
                      Well, apparently they decided with 3.36 that it required a separate package (gnome-shell-extension-prefs). I could have waited for years if I didn't read it in a comment section.

Because, of course, they don't give you any information whatsoever. Where to get extensions? Meh... Holding the power off button to magically see the suspend button appear? Meh. Gnome Tweaks to modify basically anything. Meh. New package suddenly needed for extension prefs? Why bother communicating around it!
                      I'm following Gnome on Facebook (to try and stay informed) and yet it wasn't shared. Either they have their head so buried in the sand that they didn't think the info needed be relayed, or they work on a need-to-know basis and their users are not worth being in the loop. Actually, it's probably both, as it's been their way for as long as Gnome 3 has been out.

In 3.36, they also managed to change the top-right all-in-one indicator to make sure there is an extra step to suspend (it was a visible icon in 3.34, it's now a sub-menu line that needs to be expanded first).
                      It's just like the activities overview, the design is to add extra steps to get in your way. With no extensions, it's basically twice the time for the same workflow. They're adding workflow clutter on purpose. How nice is that?

From my point of view, it gets worse every single new version. I'm really disappointed with 3.36.

Comment

Working...
                      X