Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36.1 Released With First Batch Of Fixes

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36.1 Released With First Batch Of Fixes

Following last month's release of GNOME 3.36 with its many new features and performance improvements, GNOME 3.36.1 is out today with the first batch of updates/fixes to this H1'2020 open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Fedora already got some of the packages. Same with Debian.
    Arch had most of the packages since days ago and since yesterday has the whole desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Fedora already got some of the packages. Same with Debian.
      Buster: Package: gnome (1:3.30+1)
      Bullseye: Package: gnome (1:3.30+2)
      Sid: amd64 1:3.30+2

You keep saying the same thing, and the updates keep not arriving.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You are pointing to a meta package.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

gnome is a meta package NOT a real package. This version numbers don't mean anything...

As of today Sid has a mixture of 3.34 and 3.36 components.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

gnome is a meta package NOT a real package. This version numbers don't mean anything...

As of today Sid has a mixture of 3.34 and 3.36 components.
            Makes sense. Ubuntu has to get it from somewhere.

Comment

I'm going to sound like one for those pompous "Arch + Sway" people, but that is what I have set up on my dual-boot right now (yes, I do run Windows as well!) I did another clean install last week as I was building up a lot of cruft playing around with things. Mostly I am learning and I keep learning. In regards to Gnome and Fedora and whatever else...

I wish Gnome well. There is a lot I like about it. But there are things that I just despise. I think with some good styling and nice icons and nice fonts, it could look a lot more polished. Just that top bar with the curves at each end, looks very amateur to me. Of course there is this:

Why does Gnome install Avahi for me if I don't want it, all the V4L tools I don't need. I am not sure if this is still the case, but Cheese pulls in some of this stuff, but I don't own a webcam. And then all the Evolution underlying framework stuff, running some communication services I don't need. Sorry, the details have slipped past me, this was a couple/few years ago. Maybe things have changed.

There are other things. But I see the potential. As an example, when macOS 10.10 came out, it was super refreshing asthticly compared to ≤ 10.9, at least in my opinion. I don't like a lot about macOS and usability. But it looks nice in a lot of ways. Anyway, enough of my rant. I just see a lot of rough edges in Gnome, but I also see the potential. Whether or not that potential gets realized is another thing. I don't know personally, but I get a sense from others that that community may not always be open to constructive criticism. I may be wrong.

In regards to Fedora, I may eventually move to that for no other reason that I want my Linux boot to be a development machine. We run RHEL at work, and I run CentOS on a hosted VM for my personal stuff. It kind of makes sense to run Fedora to be in a similar ecosystem, just more up to date.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                Just that top bar with the curves at each end, looks very amateur to me.
                This is due to the Adwaita theme which comes with Gnome. If you don't like the look choose another theme instead of just get rid of the curves. My personal favorite theme is Zuki Tre:
                Themes for GTK, gnome-shell and more. Contribute to lassekongo83/zuki-themes development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

This is due to the Adwaita theme which comes with Gnome. If you don't like the look choose another theme instead of just get rid of the curves. My personal favorite theme is Zuki Tre:
                  Themes for GTK, gnome-shell and more. Contribute to lassekongo83/zuki-themes development by creating an account on GitHub.
                  Cool, thanks! I thought maybe that could be overridden with a theme. Thanks for the link, that is sharp! Like I said, Gnome has a lot of potential, and it appears there is a lot of work going into the underlying core. I appreciate the work that Canonical is doing, and without really knowing things, I do feel like it would make sense this is bringing in some fresh "blood and eyes" into the project, which can often be a good thing. Like I said, I think it has a lot of potential. I only bash on it because I want to see it keep improving.

Comment

The GNOME Shell doesn't use "Adwaita". The stock shell theme has no name.

Comment

Working...
                    X