GTK 3.98.2 Released As Another Step Towards GTK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Last I checked, gnome-look had no suitable mechanism for filtering by which GTK3 version given themes are compatible with, so there were a lot of themes that were left up for use with older versions, but not maintained to fix compatibility with the newest version. Has that changed?
    Nope, and, oddly enough, that's the same exact issue that I have with store.kde.org and Discover.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Nope, and, oddly enough, that's the same exact issue that I have with store.kde.org and Discover.
      Maybe this is another one of those "GNOME 2.x users are appalled at how much KDE 3.x crashes, KDE 3.x users are appalled at how much GNOME crashes" situations where our use patterns are disjoint enough that we don't see each others' problems. I haven't found that to be anywhere near as big an issue as with GTK+ 3.x theming.

Comment

Maybe this is another one of those "GNOME 2.x users are appalled at how much KDE 3.x crashes, KDE 3.x users are appalled at how much GNOME crashes" situations where our use patterns are disjoint enough that we don't see each others' problems. I haven't found that to be anywhere near as big an issue as with GTK+ 3.x theming.
        I think this case is more like "there's a lot of old stuff in those stores and they need a way to test to tell if they're still compatible with new releases". Granted, it's been a while since I've really been into alternate GTK themes outside of Breeze since I'm pretty content with default dark.

On the KDE side of things, I've come across a few themes over the past year or two that weren't updated on the store/Discover but had active Github accounts and releases on Git.

Perhaps a way to connect those stores to git-wherever accounts could be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Perhaps a way to connect those stores to git-wherever accounts could be beneficial.
          Definitely.

Greasy Fork has something like that for Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey/etc. userscripts which works quite well, actually.

You can bind it to a git repository, either through polling or via a web hook, and, whenever you push changes, it'll run the static analysis Greasyfork does to enforce what of its rules are machine-enforceable and then either push the changes live or poke you to fix things.

Comment

Last I checked, gnome-look had no suitable mechanism for filtering by which GTK3 version given themes are compatible with, so there were a lot of themes that were left up for use with older versions, but not maintained to fix compatibility with the newest version. Has that changed?
            Yeah, by looking at description and check what version theme supports. Most themes I saw supported recent GTK. It's still not very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Yeah, by looking at description and check what version theme supports. Most themes I saw supported recent GTK. It's still not very hard.
              That still assumes that all suitable themes haven't been driven out of existence by the period of API instability. I remember the bad old days of KDE 3.x and GNOME 2.x when it was hard to find an overlap between "what I want" and "what's available for the toolkit with the community less aligned with my aesthetic tastes".

Comment

That still assumes that all suitable themes haven't been driven out of existence by the period of API instability. I remember the bad old days of KDE 3.x and GNOME 2.x when it was hard to find an overlap between "what I want" and "what's available for the toolkit with the community less aligned with my aesthetic tastes".
                No it doesn't, you assume that. There are a lot of great themes that are still developed (still improving) with many different styles and designs. Beside there is still no alternative - even is GTK3 was so horrible with breaking API every release, there is still more themes for it, than for Qt. This fact doesn't play nicely with opinion that Qt is so much better and everybody ditches GTK.

Beside from that, Qt has currently its own problems.

Comment

No it doesn't, you assume that. There are a lot of great themes that are still developed (still improving) with many different styles and designs. Beside there is still no alternative - even is GTK3 was so horrible with breaking API every release, there is still more themes for it, than for Qt. This fact doesn't play nicely with opinion that Qt is so much better and everybody ditches GTK.

Beside from that, Qt has currently its own problems.
                  I never said Qt had more variety in themes. I said that, historically, I've had better luck finding the themes I want for Qt.

(ie. It wouldn't matter if Qt had only one theme if it were designed by someone who had the exact same taste that I do.)

Comment

I never said Qt had more variety in themes. I said that, historically, I've had better luck finding the themes I want for Qt.

(ie. It wouldn't matter if Qt had only one theme if it were designed by someone who had the exact same taste that I do.)
                    Well, historically we had GTK+2 without issues you described.

Comment

Well, historically we had GTK+2 without issues you described.
                      I was around in the bad old days before QGtkStyle for using GTK+ themes in Qt and the GTK-Qt theme for using Qt themes in GTK. (Or, to be fair, before they were sufficiently bug-free to actually be usable. GTK-Qt has been around in unusable form for a long time.)

Qt 3.x and GTK+ definitely did have that problem... it was just less likely because the theming API had been stable for long enough that there was a high probability you'd find something at least close to what you wanted for both toolkits.

Comment

Working...
                      X