Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK 3.98.2 Released As Another Step Towards GTK4

Phoronix: GTK 3.98.2 Released As Another Step Towards GTK4

GTK 3.98.2 is out as the latest development snapshot in the road to the overdue but much anticipated GTK 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the Gtk1 days tools quickly migrated to Gtk2 once it was out
    In the Gtk2 days tools slowly migrated to Gtk3 once it was out
    In the Gtk3 days tools quickly migrated to Qt because developers got sick of the Gtk "problems" that came with the transition phase. Not to mention its uglyness.
    In the Gtk3 days nothing moved to the upcoming Gtk4

So it might be another step towards Gtk4 but I bet that many programs still remain Gtk2 or Gtk3.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
      In the Gtk1 days tools quickly migrated to Gtk2 once it was out
      In the Gtk2 days tools slowly migrated to Gtk3 once it was out
      In the Gtk3 days tools quickly migrated to Qt because developers got sick of the Gtk "problems" that came with the transition phase. Not to mention its uglyness.
      In the Gtk3 days nothing moved to the upcoming Gtk4

So it might be another step towards Gtk4 but I bet that many programs still remain Gtk2 or Gtk3.
      I think the only program I still use that still uses GTK2 is GIMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I think the only program I still use that still uses GTK2 is GIMP.
        And people like us will move on to Krita once we finally use it enough and it doesn't seem so alien when compared to using GIMP.

And Steam...

Comment

I don't follow GTK closely, so the following is not me trolling, it's a genuine question: why is GTK 4 "much anticipated"? Iirc, it was supposed to be just a stable GTK 3. What changed?

Comment

My small "Offtop":
            I follow this forum 2nd month and I'm a newbie compared to users here
            I've 3 quick questions:
            1. When will GTK3 stop developed? (These GTK3 didn't impress me)
            2. When can we expect the release of GTK4? (GTK4 will be in Gnome ver. 3.38?)
            3. What to expect from GTK4?
            Last edited by Zico; 02 April 2020, 02:49 AM.

Comment

-- delete--
              Last edited by Zico; 02 April 2020, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I don't follow GTK closely, so the following is not me trolling, it's a genuine question: why is GTK 4 "much anticipated"? Iirc, it was supposed to be just a stable GTK 3. What changed?
                Your assumption is wrong. There is much more to GTK4 than stabilizing things. You might have a read here:

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  The one thing attracting to me is the vulkan backend.
                  The rendering engine of Gtk4 is finally on a par with macOS Mojave.

Another anticipating thing of mine comes from Gnome 4.
                  I think they may split the compositor process and the shell process during the transition to Wayland.
                  Currently they are they same one, and a segfault from shell takes down the whole DE.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

And Steam...
                    Since 2012 constantly a dependency of steamui.so, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X