Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Do you deny that -ALL- wayland compositors have unusble input lag?
    Denied. Using the "run-ahead" feature of RetroArch running on Sway/Wayland shows that input-lag is non-existant. You are in fact incorrect.

Do you deny that wayland has been in development for nearly 15 years and it is still alpha quality at best?
    Denied, I'd say it's close to production quality already with the right hardware.

Do you deny that waylands "lowest common denominator" approach has caused the reinvention of almost all concepts desktops need? Minimize, fullscreen, resolution changing, variable refresh, system tray, clipboard, desktop sharing and even sync output on input, all of these things have been implemented, but took this long.

-Not 1 year, but 15 years- 15 YEARS!! Too fucking long and it's asinine.
    It's done properly now and we've got a modern, fast and secure desktop. You can either wake up or remain in the past with your legacy software.

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The games use X11. XWayland is used to run them on the Wayland session.

I wish Michael could test with Wayland-native games...
      So the comparison is a waste of time. Indeed he is comparing xorg games with xorg games.

Comment

• Originally posted by arokh View Post
        It's done properly now and we've got a modern, fast and secure desktop.
        You can't use a color picker (a Windows 1.0 feature) under Wayland. So fucking modern.

Comment

• Originally posted by angrypie View Post
          You can't use a color picker (a Windows 1.0 feature) under Wayland. So fucking modern.
          Oh look, another raging troll spreading FUD...

Comment

Oh look, another raging troll spreading FUD...

https://github.com/Hjdskes/gcolor3
            The Wayland color picker function was merged 4 months ago, and the latest stable release of gcolor3 was more than one year ago, which means you have to build it from source to get that function.

Yeah, fifteen fucking years to implement a color picker. Remember that next time someone mocks Microsoft for getting virtual desktops in 2015.

Comment

The Wayland color picker function was merged 4 months ago, and the latest stable release of gcolor3 was more than one year ago, which means you have to build it from source to get that function.

Yeah, fifteen fucking years to implement a color picker. Remember that next time someone mocks Microsoft for getting virtual desktops in 2015.
              Virtual desktops appeared in the Unix X11 world in the 1980s. Took Microsoft 25+ years to get that. So if you are using Microsoft virtual desktop as the tolerable limit for how long you have to wait for a feature you have at least another 10 more years before you can complain at least. CDE if I am being nicer the 1993 default Unix desktop had virtual desktop because the prior stuff did even taking that date ie 2015-1993 gives you 22 years delay on getting the feature so still at least another 5 more years before you can complain.

Really bring Microsoft in with features really says you need to give wayland more time because it took Microsoft ages to provide particular features. Virtual desktops were on windows by third party hacks way sooner and the Wayland color picker status lines up with that.

Wayland core protocols still cannot do color picker. That implementation is using libportal from flatpak todo it. It also possible to-do color picker by AT-SPI2 as well. Its also possible using Wayland unstable non mainline protocols screencopy todo colour picker that implements are debating about for the past 10 years. Its also possible todo it using pipewire.

Its not that there have not been color pickers under wayland there are still just too many ways to implement color picker at this stage and lack of solid agreement on how it should be. Please note X11 server has even more ways to implement color picker this is something that been lacking a solid agreement on how for a long time.

By the way there are 22 different ways to implement color picker under MS Windows as well. The lack of solid how its not X11/Wayland unique problem.

Comment

You said it's not possible, not my problem that you'd rather spend your time trolling than actually building it.

Couldn't care less about that. Did you feel smart when you wrote this?

Comment

You said it's not possible, not my problem that you'd rather spend your time trolling than actually building it.
                  I never said it wasn't possible. I said it didn't exist, and it still doesn't, unless you consider the hack described above as a solution.

Didn't know GNOME was accepting new features. 2020 is a truly a fucking mess.

Originally posted by arokh View Post
                  Did you feel smart when you wrote this?
                  I don't need feelings to write text on a screen. You talk like a wuss.

Comment

I never said it wasn't possible. I said it didn't exist, and it still doesn't, unless you consider the hack described above as a solution.
                    Actually you did, but feel free to deny it all you want. I consider the solution above a solution, yes. There are other solutions to it as well, but it's clear that you're not actually looking for one.

Didn't know GNOME was accepting new features. 2020 is a truly a fucking mess.
                    Ok.

I don't need feelings to write text on a screen. You talk like a wuss.
                    Thanks for clearly showing that you're a complete idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X