Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    globally? it shouldn't be possible for random app to screw up my display, just go in your de settings and change it
    What I meant is... I can't change it from the terminal! (or programmatically, e.g. a shell script)
    And I really don't want to write duplicate code per desktop environment...

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    that's the main problem with people crying on forums. they usually don't know much
    mutter doesn't implement font rendering or graphics primitives either, it's not its job.
    Look. It makes so much sense that Wayland has no extension for primitives/font rendering.
    I can understand that. It would be done in a better way by the UI toolkits anyway.

I am talking about other real problems, such as data query.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    but i can educate you on ssd:
    first, wanting to have titile bar to be de-like, but rest of window to be de-unlike is really stupid idea not worth time of intelligent beings.
    second, if you have nothing else to do and still want your window be different from your titlebar, you don't need wayland server for it. just like you don't need wayland server to print letters or triangles. use some library, which will have plugins for different de styles of titlebars. plugins can even live in respective de repos. it doesn't exist yet? then stop posting bullshit and start doing something useful ffs
    *sighs* Oh no, are we gonna start another CSD vs. SSD war again?

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      When the X11 protocol was 15 years old there was still no such thing as a clipboard or system tray, or ..... Taking 15 years to implement all this is still faster than the X11 protocol did it in. Heck there a lot in the wayland protocol that X11 protocol does not cover at all. It might be taking a long time to get the wayland standard written fully but its in a better location that you have a test suite and a standard where X11 you have a stack of mess with really nothing to say you implemented it correctly.
      It most certainly did not take 15 years of X11 development to implement clipboard. It was there from 1989, only a year after X11 first release in 15 September 1987.

Common Desktop Environmnet (CDE) had system tray since 1993

and there were many other proprietary desktops which had it even earlier (IBM AIX, Silicon Graphics Irix, Apollo).

Many of the modern desktop features did not exist when X11 was developed, so you can't blame X11 for not having them, or for taking a long time to implement them.

Comment

• Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        He did not say that. He said that in 2003, "desktop linux was at a marketshare height it hasn't reached before or since". I wouldn't doubt that he's correct about that - roughly half the people locally in my industry were using some form of desktop Linux back then. I had installation disks, and was frequently asked to come to someone's house or office and help install SuSE.
        you wouldn't doubt crazy claims because you are butthurt moron like he. the fact is you were in linux-friendly environment back then and now you've moved to linux-hostile one, it has no bearing on outside world. visualized data from reality
        Most Popular Operating Systems (Desktop & Laptops) 2003 - 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          What I meant is... I can't change it from the terminal! (or programmatically, e.g. a shell script)
          i don't want it to be changeable from random script either. btw, what problem are you trying to solve? broken de? then it should be either fixed or provide its own script
          Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          And I really don't want to write duplicate code per desktop environment...
          my de isn't broken, no need to mess with it
          Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Look. It makes so much sense that Wayland has no extension for primitives/font rendering.
          I can understand that. It would be done in a better way by the UI toolkits anyway.

I am talking about other real problems, such as data query.
          if something about wayland doesn't make sense to you, it's probably because you don't understand subject matter

Comment

• Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
            I would not use btrfs as an example, because btrfs still doesn't have stable RAID5/6 support after 15 years, nor to say RAIDZ.
            then one would not use "raid5/6 btrfs" as an example, not plain "btrfs"
            Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
            I used to believe btrfs could be a nice alternative to ZFS, but now I'm thinking of migrate away from btrfs to xfs -- the latter one is on a stable track towards a COW filesystem.
            wake me up when it becomes resizeable filesystem. and btw, how xfs raid56z fares? on a stable track towards "never" ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              Are you retard? Nobody plays a fucking competitive game locked at 60 frames. Stop talking shit!
              i have 240hz monitor, thank you. and if your monitor is 60 hz, you can't have higher fps because monitor can't show you more than 60 frames per secons

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
                We are looking at the Phoronix results should you not have noticed
                results of runing x11 apps via x11+wayland vs via x11 only
                Originally posted by sdack View Post
                . Wayland has not yet delivered on its promise to provide a faster X11 implementation.
                it did, try measuring wayland app on wayland vs wayland app on xorg
                Originally posted by sdack View Post
                There isn't anything to discuss, because it's obvious to see from the benchmarks
                you can't see speed of wayland in benchmark which didn't measure wayland apps. it should be obvious, but apparently it isn't for you

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  i have 240hz monitor, thank you. and if your monitor is 60 hz, you can't have higher fps because monitor can't show you more than 60 frames per secons
                  It's not about how many frames you can see, it's about input lag. Which doesn't matter on wayland cause it can't sync output on input anyway. With wayland input lag will always be bad because it has no mechanism to sync output on input. All other display protocols besides wayland can and do. If you are using x11 for example sync output on input is always one frame behind and a higher framerate, even if you can't see them all, specifically means less input lag....

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    It's not about how many frames you can see, it's about input lag.
                    input lag has nothing to do with producing teared frames. proper solution to it is freesync.
                    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    With wayland input lag will always be bad because
                    you are off your meds

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      Then how come they did it for XWayland clients? That makes no sense!
                      in case you really wondered it's because xwayland clients are not clients of wayland, they are clients of x11. and their decorations are drawn by x11 window manager as usual in x11. see, it's really that simple

Comment

Working...
                      X