Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
    Thank you for that link. That's exactly the reason I abandoned that gnome shythole ecosystem
    that link was supposed to explain you how idiotic it is to demand ssd, but you failed

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      The big elephant in the room is Nvidia
      novideo doesn't provide linux drivers. if you you gave them your money, it's your fault

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        As soon as a viable alternative to wayland becomes prominent then wayland will die
        what viable alternative? mir or x11? who will develop it? all x11 devs switched to wayland, i.e. they are developing wayland. to develop alternatives wayland-hating idiots should learn how to do it and invest their resources. which they apparently aren't capable of
        Last edited by pal666; 31 March 2020, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          what viable alternative? mir or x11? who will develop it? all x11 devs switched to wayland, i.e. they are developing wayland. to develop alternatives wayland-hating idiots should learn how to do it and invest their resources. which they apparently aren't capable of
          problem the same group of people who have invested their resources into spurring systemd hate rather than actually improving the shitty alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            GTFO of what? Something that most people haven't been able to use yet after 12 years in development?
            first, you are confusing yourself with "most people". second, no matter how loudly you cry, wayland is the best x12 in history, because neither you nor any other idiot managed to produce x12 which is at least as good as wayland

Comment

What? Facts like, input lag on wayland
              garbage in - garbage out. there's no input lag on wayland. there can be input lag on some implementation, which has nothing to do with wayland.
              makes it unusable in most desktop usage scenarios and it's ubiquitous across every single compositor.... Or do you mean other facts like, Wayland has been in development for nearly 15 years and it is still alpha quality at best in every single compositor that exists....
              it's been in development for 20+ years less than x11 and it's already better than x11
              Or do you mean facts like, wayland is such an incomplete protocol that compositors must reinvent basically every single wheel independently for each and every single one of them....
              i mean facts like "as long as wayland compositor is simpler than x11 server + x11 compositor, wayland does it right"
              And most important of all lets not forget that waaay over a decade ago Hogsberg himself specifically stated that wayland was -never- intended to replace a desktop display server. It was entirely intended for incredibly simple IoT devices. The protocol simply doesn't do most of what a desktop compositor needs a display protocol to do.
              you didn't prove it with link to his words, so you've probably lied like in rest of your claims. everyone can easily google up his quote "Wayland is a new window system architecture aiming to be a good fit for everything from embedded and mobile devices to full-blown desktop environments". but let's imagine for a second he did say that "waaay over a decade ago"(i mean what drugs are you on? in our universe wayland was started in 2008). things can change with time. i'm sure x window system has far more uses that it was intended for
              I mean really, what facts are you talking about?
              certainly none of your lies

Comment

You guys are fucking delusional. Go have your cake and eat it too... But I'll have mine, thank you very much.

Comment

Go have your cake and eat it too... But I'll have mine, thank you very much.
                  Finally you took it like a man. Finally.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Ugh come on... What about if I want to change my display resolution, screen orientation or position?

What a dumb idea :l
                    globally? it shouldn't be possible for random app to screw up my display, just go in your de settings and change it
                    I never knew there were that many clipboards...
                    that's the main problem with people crying on forums. they usually don't know much
                    Except that Mutter does not implement it as mentioned before in this thread.
                    mutter doesn't implement font rendering or graphics primitives either, it's not its job.
                    but i can educate you on ssd:
                    first, wanting to have titile bar to be de-like, but rest of window to be de-unlike is really stupid idea not worth time of intelligent beings.
                    second, if you have nothing else to do and still want your window be different from your titlebar, you don't need wayland server for it. just like you don't need wayland server to print letters or triangles. use some library, which will have plugins for different de styles of titlebars. plugins can even live in respective de repos. it doesn't exist yet? then stop posting bullshit and start doing something useful ffs

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Try to play TF2 with a AMD GPU (mine is the RX570) using Wayland and see the disaster. Don't forget to disable vsync.
                      FWIW, disabling sync-to-vblank is likely the problem here, and fullscreen unredirect (direct scanout of client buffers) should help. (The same issue should affect Xorg as well with page flipping disabled, apart from the HW cursor maybe)

The issue is that an unthrottled client can starve the display server's GPU work, causing the compositor's frames to be delayed. Fixing this will be surprisingly tricky and require the kernel and Mesa drivers to provide a way for the compositor's work to be prioritized and finish ahead of the client's GPU work, even if the GPU has already started processing the latter.

Comment

Working...
                      X