Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gufide View Post

Yeah I know, it does not make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested in the issue there is an extended discussion on their gitlab: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217
    Thank you for that link. That's exactly the reason I abandoned that gnome shythole ecosystem

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      From the start was Wayland given credit for becoming the better, securer and faster windowing system. And after 10 years are we still not seeing it.
      With X every program can capture every mouse/keyboard input and every video output.
      Not with Wayland, that's why screen sharing needs a specific API with Wayland for instance.
      In that way, Wayland is actually better and more secure.

There is no point to make this a partisan issue. Transition to Wayland is slow because X is a core part of the desktop API, used in a great number of projects and UI libraries, sometimes relying on insecure APIs (eg the screen sharing example).

Comment

I test this a week ago, with a intel gpu, the same game have a lot of lag using wayland, the numbers can say what ppl want but the games work like gabage using wayland

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post

Yeah I know, it does not make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested in the issue there is an extended discussion on their gitlab: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217
          WOW. What a complete disaster.

Comment

The big elephant in the room is Nvidia. I just tried it again with GNOME--XWayland is still using software rendering. It's suppost to be fixed in Spring of 2020. That's now. Most high-end gaming laptops (like I have) use an Nvidia GPU.

What native games support pure Wayland or can work properly with say the SDL Wayland backend?
            Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 30 March 2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Mutter devs are a BIG part of the Wayland Meritocracy. Don’t like that? Then GTFO.
              Which is exactly what's currently happening. Bye, bye.... Duh. As soon as a viable alternative to wayland becomes prominent then wayland will die. It's already inevitable -BECAUSE- it's too big a part of Gnome's asinine meritocracy.

Comment

I'm running a 20.04 daily build with the Wayland session (I've even enabled Wayland for Firefox and Thunderbird). There are a few remaining glitches, probably the most irritating is that drag&drop for desktop icons doesn't work as expected, but other than that it's rock solid and really fast. I'm really looking forward to Wayland to be declared default.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

This! Try to play opengl games using xwayland... It's a crap!
                  Why? I just played Wolfenstein New Order & Old Blood using xwayland and had zero issues with it (Intel GPU). It's not Wayland that's crap, it's NVidia. If you want to play games on Linux, buy hardware that provides proper drivers for it and you won't have problems.

Comment

Mutter devs are a BIG part of the Wayland Meritocracy. Don’t like that? Then GTFO.
                    Are you doing self-parody now?

Comment

GTFO of what? Something that most people haven't been able to use yet after 12 years in development? People have to actually be "IN" something before you can tell them to GTFO.

Comment

Working...
                      X