Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    tildearrow That has nothing to do with Wayland. Want those extra features? Then find a desktop that supports it.
    Is this a subliminal advertisement for GNOME?

Yes it is. Please stop already.

It's not like GNOME is the master and the rest are slaves, OK?!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 30 March 2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
      GNOME deliberately refused to implement the protocol because they prefer all clients to render their own decorations.
      Then how come they did it for XWayland clients? That makes no sense!

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Where is my font rendering?
        fontconfig and FreeType/HarfBuzz

My primitive rendering?
        Who wants this?! You can do it with the toolkits, or yourself!

My Wprint? Seriously, Wayland can't do fax?
        Who wants this either?! Printing is separate from the Wayland desktop, so this makes no sense. :l

Assuming I am trolling, skipping the post and just making fun of it is not a solution.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 30 March 2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Are these games based on Xorg or Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Then how come they did it for XWayland clients? That makes no sense!
            Yeah I know, it does not make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested in the issue there is an extended discussion on their gitlab: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
              This is basically running X11 games under wayland.
              DOH!
              So, no pure wayland? So wayland is fast because Xorg is faster? I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                I don't think you know anything about either X or Wayland.
                And yet is he right and you're bitter. From the start was Wayland given credit for becoming the better, securer and faster windowing system. And after 10 years are we still not seeing it. That's not saying that it will never achieve its goals, but 10 years is indeed a long time. Take DXVK for a comparison and how it raised scepticism - people didn't believe Linux could run DirectX11 games as fast as Windows can. And while DXVK was written by a single developer has it achieved practically a performance parity to Windows, all while it still has to work within the constraints set by X11/Wayland/WINE/Vulkan. It then didn't take 10 years to develop DXVK, but only 2 and with a remarkable result. Or take systemd, which is still hated by many, but nevertheless has it achieved more than it initially set out to do and it, too, didn't take 10 years to develop it. So it's absolutely justified to question Wayland not surpassing X11 in performance after 10 long years.
                Last edited by sdack; 30 March 2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

Its embarrassing that after 15 years of development and millions spent, the supposedly superior wayland still cannot beat the "old and bloated X", not in performance or features.
                  Nice trolling effort but it is not just the framerate with display protocols there are other things to consider. Besides the vast majority of commercial games still use Xwayland so they basically run on Xorg no matter the display server you use.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

One thing that is hard to see in these graphs is the heavy stuttering under wayland + very high input lag and cursor stuttering making it unusable
                    This! Try to play opengl games using xwayland... It's a crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                      Are these games based on Xorg or Wayland?
                      The games use X11. XWayland is used to run them on the Wayland session.

I wish Michael could test with Wayland-native games...

Comment

Working...
                      X