Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kdenlive 20.04 Beta Released With Continuing To Improve The Open-Source Video Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had relatively few crashes with any recent version of Kdenlive. I compile it locally on Debian Unstable, and "unstable" it is not in my use case. Some of my videos (year to date/end of year) are incredibly complex with hundreds of clips and even they don't choke Kdenlive on my machine. That doesn't means it works this well on all distros, no matter how compiled etc of course. The reported crashes might well be distro-dependent, MLT version dependent (yes, I have encountered problematic (unsually non-released) versions but I normally built this from git master), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      I have had relatively few crashes with any recent version of Kdenlive. I compile it locally on Debian Unstable, and "unstable" it is not in my use case. Some of my videos (year to date/end of year) are incredibly complex with hundreds of clips and even they don't choke Kdenlive on my machine. That doesn't means it works this well on all distros, no matter how compiled etc of course. The reported crashes might well be distro-dependent, MLT version dependent (yes, I have encountered problematic (unsually non-released) versions but I normally built this from git master), etc.
      If you googled for kdenlive, you'd find tons of questions about crashing. The main reason why it crashes is C++'s lack of memory safety.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I have to agree. Kdenlive is riddled with crashes and serious flaws, to the point I decided to do a speedrun and crashed it in 4 seconds.

Um... you do know that version you used is more than 3 years old?

Comment

Originally posted by eiglow_ View Post

thats not important to people who love to post that they've found a "fatal flaw" in anattempt to big themselves up

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
            On Kdenlive 19.12 right now, should be coming to my distribution soon. Recently made a multiboot pen drive, checked out Manjaros latest KDE release, was really really impressed it's a great desktop. Not checked out KDE for years. The new KDE absolutely destroys Windows 10 in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by eiglow_ View Post

Umm... Yes, sorry, forgot to insert that. Kdenlive has been getting more stable in later versions, and this does not happen anymore after the refactor.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

thats not important to people who love to post that they've found a "fatal flaw" in anattempt to big themselves up
                I do not mean it in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

If you googled for kdenlive, you'd find tons of questions about crashing. The main reason why it crashes is C++'s lack of memory safety.
                  No, it may be crashing because of C++ memory safety. And even if it is (and that's not confirmed), then it's not the language, but the programmer using it. I've worked on million-line C++ apps that never crash, because they were written correctly. Don't blame the language for how certain programmers use it.

Comment

I'm still using the last version of kdenlive that was released before the "refactoring". That version is reasonably stable, with a few known triggers for crashes that I can easily avoid.
                    Every version of kdenlive after the "refactoring" that I tried so far crashed upon the very first mundane things I tried - like putting one video file on the empty timeline of a newly created project.
                    I'll certainly run 20.x when it comes with some Arch Linux update, but I would not be surprised if it fails the "just do something" test quickly.

BTW: Shotcut is looking better with every version. I still find its user interface less intuitive to use than that of kdenlive, but apart from that it seems like a decent alternative.

Comment

I moved to Avidemux because of the crashes.

Comment

Working...
                      X