Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 5.5 Released With Expanded UCRTBase C Runtime Usage, Usual Assortment Of Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 5.5 Released With Expanded UCRTBase C Runtime Usage, Usual Assortment Of Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 5.5 Released With Expanded UCRTBase C Runtime Usage, Usual Assortment Of Fixes

Wine 5.5 is out as the latest bi-weekly Wine development snapshot for running your favorite Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I sure hope it solves the long standing bug of the Steam Store flickering.

I don't use Proton because I've developed my own Wine Manager system over the years that enables a unified customizable menu for unlimited wine bottles and versions, and most of the programs, including games, that I run work better under my system than they do under Proton.

I'm beginning to wonder if the bug isn't being fixed because Valve wants to force people to use Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      I don't use Proton because I've developed my own Wine Manager system over the years that enables a unified customizable menu for unlimited wine bottles and versions, and most of the programs, including games, that I run work better under my system than they do under Proton.
      Do you have any code I could look at? While it's on hold at the moment, I'm working on something that will have overlap with that.

Comment

Guessing this will fix AOE2 DE?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Do you have any code I could look at? While it's on hold at the moment, I'm working on something that will have overlap with that.
          Oh yes. And it's quite portable because I got so sick and tired of constantly rewriting stuff in Python and other ridiculously ever changing languages that it's written in Bash. And I've also always refused to use Java because, as an embedded systems designer who primarily coded in assembly and C, I believe Java is the most ridiculous "programming language" ever conceived.

In fact I just recently completed a full arbitrary multi-dimensional array Bash module I'm integrating into it to make some parts cleaner and more versatile. However the currently working version does not use the MDA module yet.

I have to warn you though that not only is it very complicated, it also requires the use of mergerfs to virtualize the ~/Desktop, ~/.config/menus, ~/.local/share/applications, ~/.local/share/desktop-directories, ~/.local/share/icons. and ~/.local/share/mime directories. It also utilizes multiple general purpose standard script modules that I use for numerous other things.

But just tell me where and I'll be happy to send you the whole shebang!

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Oh yes. And it's quite portable because I got so sick and tired of constantly rewriting stuff in Python and other ridiculously ever changing languages that it's written in Bash. And I've also always refused to use Java because, as an embedded systems designer who primarily coded in assembly and C, I believe Java is the most ridiculous "programming language" ever conceived.

In fact I just recently completed a full arbitrary multi-dimensional array Bash module I'm integrating into it to make some parts cleaner and more versatile. However the currently working version does not use the MDA module yet.

I have to warn you though that not only is it very complicated, it also requires the use of mergerfs to virtualize the ~/Desktop, ~/.config/menus, ~/.local/share/applications, ~/.local/share/desktop-directories, ~/.local/share/icons. and ~/.local/share/mime directories. It also utilizes multiple general purpose standard script modules that I use for numerous other things.

But just tell me where and I'll be happy to send you the whole shebang!
            Github would be fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Well, I don't have a Github account, and it seems like a lot of work, but you're not the first one whose wanted to look at the code.

So I guess if I'm going to maintain any credibility at all I'd better take the time to create one and post the code

So, at your request, I'm going to do it right now. I'll let you know when it's ready.

Gosh darn young whippersnappers making us old timers do things the modern way! Whatever happened to printing things out on dot matrix printers and sending stuff via couriers or postal mail!

Grrrr ....

Comment

This wine version show progress in some cinematics

In my case case chaos legion (mpg files in low resolution) working for first time

Some xseed cinematics affected too in my case

Last edited by pinguinpc; 27 March 2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

pinguinpc Yeah, there was a ton of media foundation and media foundation platform work done this release.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Okay, the initial upload is at https://github.com/muncrief/wine-manager.

I know the README file doesn't look very good right now, but all the ridiculous "markdown" crap that's been incorporated into everything over the years really pisses me off, and every time I try to do something simple I end up having to look everything up again and spend five times as long as it would take if systems simply recognized normal punctuation and text. I mean really, sheesh! I've always considered it a case of youngsters having way too much time on their hands to do worthless things

But when I have more time I'll format it correctly, and of course add instructions on how to set the system up. But this should give anyone interested enough to ponder for now

EDIT:
                    Oh my god, github is even applying markdown to the code files! Sheesh again!. Anyway there's a "raw" button that almost makes the code files intelligible, but I'd recommend downloading any files you're interested in and opening them in a real text editor with the tab width set to 3. I actually spend an inordinate amount of time formatting my code files beautifully, but markdown destroys that.

In fact my code files would really, really, piss Linus off because I've heard he despises beautifully formatted code
                    Last edited by muncrief; 28 March 2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X