No announcement yet.

KDE Working On "Plasma Bigscreen" As TV Interface With AI Voice Assistant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May be this can work as a gaming console variant too.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      May be this can work as a gaming console variant too.
      Yea, But once we have more arm64 games.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        To be honest I'd rather see them further optimizing their stack for lower latency, a Vulkan backend for KWin etc.
        Whenever an open source project is born, there is always someone who says they should improve this or that, but ignore what open source means. If some people are interested in a certain project, I will do it regardless and they will never take care of what you care about, unless you pay them.
        KDE is organized well enough, volunteer developers decide which projects to work on, so free software works.
        If these developers didn't work on this project, they wouldn't take care of other software anyway, unless they are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBlackHat View Post

Yea, But once we have more arm64 games.
          Why do we need arm64? You can easily use x86_64 for console style gaming. What's lacking is a good FOSS UX, that's controller oriented.

Comment

OK, seriously. Why is the freaking font DejaVu?!?!
            Don't they have their own font? Oxygen? Why do you still use that freaking font in 2020!

Edit: never mind. Apparently if you do install the Oxygen fonts it is fixed, but still, come on...
            Last edited by tildearrow; 27 March 2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Might be a good thing to try once I get around to rooting my old V20 and installing Ubuntu on it, probably could use it as a TV box...
              The V20 is basically a RPi 4 already with its quad A72, 4GB of RAM, but it also has 64GB expandable of storage, a battery, WiFi, Bluetooth and LTE capabilities.
              I'd love to be able to use it as a Linux phone with Plasma Mobile, then plug it in to a lapdock(like NexDock) to use as a computer, then plug in to a TV and use it as a media center. One device that does everything.

Comment

No longer Android? Linux, but no light weight interface?
                These are two remarkable features, afaik.
                Seems that most of the third party add-on boxes for creating "Smart TV" used to not be Linux. Perhaps this is the start of a new trend.
                Instead of so many Android TV applications, a spin off might be more Linux applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Whenever an open source project is born, there is always someone who says they should improve this or that, but ignore what open source means. If some people are interested in a certain project, I will do it regardless and they will never take care of what you care about, unless you pay them.
                  KDE is organized well enough, volunteer developers decide which projects to work on, so free software works.
                  If these developers didn't work on this project, they wouldn't take care of other software anyway, unless they are interested.
                  My second post already reflected this, I fully understand that their motivation drives their project forward. On the other hand my remarks were aimed at questioning their priorities as a diversion of resources could hamper their overall efforts to move the project forward in a meaningful way for a larger base of their users, as these resources could be spend on things of more concern to more people. And I've already mentioned some big points were - at least from my perspective - KDE stagnated over the last years (e.g. GNOME doubled down their efforts on performance improvements during the last two years to fix some of their major issues - and I definitely noticed their results). And I also noticed improvements in usability on KDE which I also appreciate. But open source projects also need some vision and leadership and I've noticed that they do have a process in place which should identify areas which deserve their attention the most. Feedback from us users could also help them to make better decisions over their priorities and I regard my comments as such constructive feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
                    No longer Android? Linux, but no light weight interface?
                    These are two remarkable features, afaik.
                    Seems that most of the third party add-on boxes for creating "Smart TV" used to not be Linux. Perhaps this is the start of a new trend.
                    Instead of so many Android TV applications, a spin off might be more Linux applications.
                    We can only hope.

I don't wanna go off on a rant here....

but I loathe Android because I simply cannot trust it. Doesn't matter what app I'm using, I don't trust the core OS of Android. I don't trust that my no microphone and other various settings actually work. Use a browser in private mode? Doesn't matter because your keyboard will snitch you off to Google so you'll start getting ads for Yard Gnomes on every device you own...wrong Gnome ya jackasses...and quit following me around.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      Three problems.

1) Big Screen is normally associated with cinema sized screens and not TVs.

2) Depends on spy software tech.

3) The project website spies on you as well.

pretty bad start :/
                      1a) Is my 50" screen/monitor regular sized?

1b) I'm also considering a projector as my next monitor. Based on my measurements, my max size based on space would be a 110" 16:9 monitor. Ain't cinema sized, but sure as shit isn't small either.

?) But if one plays a lot of video games from their couch or chair...this project has potential.

2) At least it's interchangeable....

3) Based on uMatrix -- Phoronix spies much worse...if you're gonna complain about a website spying, talk to our admin first.

Comment

Working...
                      X