XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Qt != KDE. In fact, Qt is less dependant on and dictated by KDE than GTK+ is GNOME these days.
    Duh, I'm a dummy, a late night post.

Still qt can still be finnicky with upgrading to newer versions. I do tend to agree can be quite light, for example xpdf. Just not a fan of QT/KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

I understand it is easier to develop with Qt for multi platform support (Linux/Windows/Mac) but sadly you'll always notice the poor fonts rendering quality compared to GTK. Well I am OK with it as it comes for free and still is FOSS I just wish it could be so pixel perfect as GTK rendering.
      What do you mean? Fonts look way more crisp in Qt apps for me, and on top of that, Qt actually respects semibold fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        I still use xmms, it still works.
        I did use Amarok 1.4 back in the day so maybe i should try Strawberry Music Player.
        I will try Audacious 4.0 and see if it's any good, does it still have the winamp gui option?
        Amarok 1.4 is still alive in the TDE desktop environment (and you can use it outside of TDE as well if you install the TDE libs).

Comment

uid313 you are my competition! (and 144Hz too!)

I just don't like the fact you both are on the GTK/GNOME/deprecate everything side! They do it all backwards!

Qt is not only for "heavily-skinned apps" but also for normal desktop apps! Yeah, I know most commercial Qt apps are heavily skinned but don't you consider KDE for a moment?
          Well, you don't. I fight team uid to the utmost for freedom!

Furthermore what is so wrong with having an HDD in 2020 or something? I have old computer and am not throwing them to the waste only because "X thing is out"!

Ugh.... If only GNOME was better then it would be fair, but no...

But, but, but, but...
          Last edited by tildearrow; 24 March 2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Fedora isn't the only Linux distributions that still ships it, i run Slackware64-current and it's included by default.

It's in a default install of Slackware like it's been for many years and it's still there in bleeding edge current.
            This is what Slackware use to build gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz
            ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/s...source/l/gtk+/
            Many Linux distributions still package gtk+, this is actually one area where gtk is superior to Qt where many distributions still package all of them and you can have gtk+, gkt+2 and gtk+3 all installed at the same time, i don't see distributions still packaging all Qt versions.
            Q4OS packages both TQt 3 and Qt 5. But yeah, not many distros go that far.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Except that it does break, pretty much every single update...

Like you, there is no excusing away personal preferences. Devs can implement whatever toolkit they want, and end users can choose desktops and applications that use whatever toolkit they want. If you don't mind constant breakage and broken look and feel and no configurability and massive white space and assinine layout with extra navigation steps, then by all means use what you prefer....
              Prove it. GTK3 isn't breaking and changing since 2016. So how it's supposed to "break after update" when it's not updated at all? It's in maintenance mode so it only gets bug fixes, API stays the same. It still support themes so if you don't want Adwaita look and "massive white space" just install another theme. You have a lot of them to choose. Nobody forces you to throw away preferences. Are you still going to ignore the fact XFCE, MATE and Cinnamon are GTK3 based?
              Last edited by dragon321; 24 March 2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Amarok 1.4 is still alive in the TDE desktop environment (and you can use it outside of TDE as well if you install the TDE libs).
                The best music player EVER!

Comment

Am I the only one here who also runs Audacious on Windows? Maybe.

I prefer GTK on Linux for various reasons, but it remains true that Qt is much better for building cross-platform applications. Qt apps on Windows are better in many ways than GTK apps on Windows. And since cross-platform is important for Audacious, I totally understand why they would make the switch.

That said, I have a GTK-focused desktop and still run many Qt apps. It's totally fine, even if they look and feel a bit different. Compare to the Windows world where it seems almost every app looks and feels differently from others.

I'm glad we have two great widget toolkits to choose from, each with its own strengths based on specific design decisions. I'm glad programmers can pick whatever they think would make their application better.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Prove it. GTK3 isn't breaking and changing since 2016. So how it's supposed to "break after update" when it's not updated at all? It's in maintenance mode so it only gets bug fixes, API stays the same. It still support themes so if you don't want Adwaita look and "massive white space" just install another theme. You have a lot of them to choose. Nobody forces you to throw away preferences. Are you still going to ignore the fact XFCE, MATE and Cinnamon are GTK3 based?
                    You want me to boot to gnome? No thanks.... I mean that's literally all it takes to "prove it".....

Comment

XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit
                      Michael please tell us when QMMP move from Qt to GTK ;-)

For reference, this is QMMP, the “Qt-based Multimedia Player“, which is “an audio-player, written with the help of the Qt library. The user interface is similar to winamp or xmms“, and looks like this:

With support for XMMS skins:

And audacious-like interface:

=)

Comment

Working...
                      X