XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

It's mostly outdated. As you can read: "The most common criticism of GTK is the lack of backward-compatibility in major updates". This is currently not in case anymore since version 3.22 released in 2016. GTK3 isn't changing now.

Yeah, again "GTK3 is bad because I don't like GNOME3". Do you know GTK is not only used by GNOME and you have a lot of apps using this toolkit which are not part of GNOME and looks different? Or maybe everything what uses GTK is bad only because it's GTK based? Do you never heard about desktops like Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce? All three are using GTK3 currently.

Why should I be pissed if you "start about themes"? GTK3 isn't changing since 2016 so themes made for 3.22 version won't break in future. You gonna post me outdated links?
    Except that it does break, pretty much every single update...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      Fedora isn't the only Linux distributions that still ships it, i run Slackware64-current and it's included by default.

It's in a default install of Slackware like it's been for many years and it's still there in bleeding edge current.
      This is what Slackware use to build gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz
      ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/s...source/l/gtk+/
      Many Linux distributions still package gtk+, this is actually one area where gtk is superior to Qt where many distributions still package all of them and you can have gtk+, gkt+2 and gtk+3 all installed at the same time, i don't see distributions still packaging all Qt versions.
      That's good info, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

If a stable theme API is required for a toolkit to be "good", then I suppose most toolkits suck.
        I know you think you're being sarcastic, but you're actually completely right...

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post

I think that as long as Linux will aim towards that kind of public, who wants screen estate and heavy customisation, the Year of the Linux Desktop will never happen. Unreadable amounts of information contained in a user-tinkered DE which offers so much options you lose yourself into it just for resizing a window is not what we call "usable" today.
          About the constant breakage, everybody knows that you have to choose between optimising and enhancing vs. keeping legacy stuff. GTK being GNOME-centric, they choose to optimise and enhance and work on their own theme rather than keeping compatibility with previous versions. That is one way to see it, not the best, not the worst, it's just a choice you've got to make.
          You got it totally back assward... There will -never- be a "Year of the Linux Desktop", ever... Human beings are not preprogrammed robots, we each have our own preferences and no desktop can fit perfectly by default. And because Gnome's entire goal is antithesis to individuality it will always be at the very back of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

It's mostly outdated. As you can read: "The most common criticism of GTK is the lack of backward-compatibility in major updates". This is currently not in case anymore since version 3.22 released in 2016. GTK3 isn't changing now.

Yeah, again "GTK3 is bad because I don't like GNOME3". Do you know GTK is not only used by GNOME and you have a lot of apps using this toolkit which are not part of GNOME and looks different? Or maybe everything what uses GTK is bad only because it's GTK based? Do you never heard about desktops like Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce? All three are using GTK3 currently.

Why should I be pissed if you "start about themes"? GTK3 isn't changing since 2016 so themes made for 3.22 version won't break in future. You gonna post me outdated links?
            Except that it does break, pretty much every single update...

Like you, there is no excusing away personal preferences. Devs can implement whatever toolkit they want, and end users can choose desktops and applications that use whatever toolkit they want. If you don't mind constant breakage and broken look and feel and no configurability and massive white space and assinine layout with extra navigation steps, then by all means use what you prefer....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

... Human beings are not preprogrammed robots...
              Not even a little?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Not even a little?
                To be fair, we are preprogrammed with certain expectations about how language works. In "The Third Chimpanzee", Jared Diamond talks about how, up to a certain age, his sons would follow their instinctive expectations of how a language should be structured rather than what he was trying to teach them.

While not a problem for English, one of those preprogrammed assumptions is apparently that sentences are structured "Subject Verb Object". (Japanese being an example of a language which uses "Subject Object Verb" instead and, according to one woman I chatted with at a gathering put together by some family friends, that distinction apparently causes them as much trouble parsing English sentences as it does us with Japanese.)

Comment

Eh, going to be a lot less users due to the one thousand dependencies KDE requires. I prefer GTK.

I think most advanced users just do "aplay *.wav", or at most use mplayer/mpv.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                    Eh, going to be a lot less users due to the one thousand dependencies KDE requires. I prefer GTK.

I think most advanced users just do "aplay *.wav", or at most use mplayer/mpv.
                    Qt != KDE. In fact, Qt is less dependant on and dictated by KDE than GTK+ is GNOME these days.

Comment

Audacious 4.0 with winamp gui looks very similar to xmms.

I found that audacious has a skin called Refugee that looks exactly like XMMS eccept that it's missing the OAIDV menu (the menu is there only not visible).

Last edited by Nille_kungen; 24 March 2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X