No announcement yet.

XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.0 git actually works pretty neat and ui is cleaner than the original gtk2. Winamp Classic mode is also present and rocks like an hurricane in my ears.

Last edited by SkyWarrior; 23 March 2020, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Very slowly, but surely, GTK will inevitably die.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Umm, because it sucks ass.... Surely you must have booted into a Gnome3 environment at some point lately and seen the incredibly massive amount of white space and the absolutely terrible look and feel or the constant breakage every single update. And please don't even let me get started on themes, I will piss you off when I start posting links to the facts of how terrible GTK3 theme compatibility is between versions. If you like to customize your theme in any way at all, then GTK3 is the absolute worst toolkit -EVER- conceived.
        I think that as long as Linux will aim towards that kind of public, who wants screen estate and heavy customisation, the Year of the Linux Desktop will never happen. Unreadable amounts of information contained in a user-tinkered DE which offers so much options you lose yourself into it just for resizing a window is not what we call "usable" today.
        About the constant breakage, everybody knows that you have to choose between optimising and enhancing vs. keeping legacy stuff. GTK being GNOME-centric, they choose to optimise and enhance and work on their own theme rather than keeping compatibility with previous versions. That is one way to see it, not the best, not the worst, it's just a choice you've got to make.

Comment

I think the Linux world needs a new, different, completely free gui toolkit. In my opinion, it should be light on resource and nice to see. I think heavily customizations and a big amount of options make the libs unsafe, heavy on resource and slow. And buggy.

Comment

Umm, because it sucks ass.... Surely you must have booted into a Gnome3 environment at some point lately and seen the incredibly massive amount of white space and the absolutely terrible look and feel or the constant breakage every single update. And please don't even let me get started on themes, I will piss you off when I start posting links to the facts of how terrible GTK3 theme compatibility is between versions. If you like to customize your theme in any way at all, then GTK3 is the absolute worst toolkit -EVER- conceived.
            If a stable theme API is required for a toolkit to be "good", then I suppose most toolkits suck.

Comment

The Qt5 version is really nice except it's lacking a crucial feature for me: global shortcuts support. Looks like I'm not migrating to it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

I was gobsmacked to discover it's still packaged in Fedora and even that was a while ago. It's still there now. I mean we're talking about GTK1 here!

While you may be one of the last XMMS users in the world, I think I'm one of the last XMMS2 users in the world. There's 20 users in the IRC channel and I don't think all of them actually use it any more. Its build system doesn't appear to support Python 3.7 or above, which has suddenly become a problem for me. Between that, a couple of other bugs, and the fact that development is all but dead, I'm considering switching to MPD but it would be such a damn shame. It may be sorely lacking any good clients but the underlying architecture of XMMS2 is really good.
                Fedora isn't the only Linux distributions that still ships it, i run Slackware64-current and it's included by default.

How do you still use gtk1 apps? I didn't think any modern package managers still distributed it?
                It's in a default install of Slackware like it's been for many years and it's still there in bleeding edge current.
                This is what Slackware use to build gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz
                ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/s...source/l/gtk+/
                Many Linux distributions still package gtk+, this is actually one area where gtk is superior to Qt where many distributions still package all of them and you can have gtk+, gkt+2 and gtk+3 all installed at the same time, i don't see distributions still packaging all Qt versions.
                Last edited by Nille_kungen; 23 March 2020, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Really, as far as the "classic" theme is there and I can use the Fallout winamp skins while they render fine, I don't mind if they switch to code everything in pure assembler.

Last edited by vladimir86; 23 March 2020, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    The Qt5 version is really nice except it's lacking a crucial feature for me: global shortcuts support. Looks like I'm not migrating to it yet.
                    Ahh, that would be what kept me on the GTK+ 2.x UI. I do 99% of my interaction with Audacious via global shortcuts, OSD, and the Jump to Track dialog triggered via a global shortcut.

Comment

As a side note; the QT 5 support should mean that you can run Audacious natively on a Wayland desktop without requiring Xwayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X