XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George99 View Post
    you'll always notice the poor fonts rendering quality compared to GTK.
    No idea what you're doing but by Linux installs both use FreeType for font rendering in any toolkit, therefore fonts look the same everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
      Still hating GTK3 in 2020, incredible. What makes GTK3 "big pile of shit"?
      That's an overview what actual developers are saying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK#Criticism

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        I still use xmms, it still works.
        I did use Amarok 1.4 back in the day so maybe i should try Strawberry Music Player.
        I will try Audacious 4.0 and see if it's any good, does it still have the winamp gui option?
        How do you still use gtk1 apps? I didn't think any modern package managers still distributed it?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Still hating GTK3 in 2020, incredible. What makes GTK3 "big pile of shit"?
          Umm, because it sucks ass.... Surely you must have booted into a Gnome3 environment at some point lately and seen the incredibly massive amount of white space and the absolutely terrible look and feel or the constant breakage every single update. And please don't even let me get started on themes, I will piss you off when I start posting links to the facts of how terrible GTK3 theme compatibility is between versions. If you like to customize your theme in any way at all, then GTK3 is the absolute worst toolkit -EVER- conceived.
          Last edited by duby229; 22 March 2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
            Since they don't support the XMMS look I won't be switching.
            But they DO support the XMMS look! It's right there in Settings -> Appearance -> Interface: Winamp Classic Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              More and more serious programs are moving from GTK away to the leading toolkit Qt.
              "Serious programs"? Ha! More and more mindless trolls from one individual with mental health issues ...

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                That's an overview what actual developers are saying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK#Criticism
                It's mostly outdated. As you can read: "The most common criticism of GTK is the lack of backward-compatibility in major updates". This is currently not in case anymore since version 3.22 released in 2016. GTK3 isn't changing now.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Umm, because it sucks ass.... Surely you must have booted into a Gnome3 environment at some point lately and seen the incredibly massive amount of white space and the absolutely terrible look and feel or the constant breakage every single update. And please don't even let me get started on themes, I will piss you off when I start posting links to the facts of how terrible GTK3 theme compatibility is between versions. If you like to customize your theme in any way at all, then GTK3 is the absolute worst toolkit -EVER- conceived.
                Yeah, again "GTK3 is bad because I don't like GNOME3". Do you know GTK is not only used by GNOME and you have a lot of apps using this toolkit which are not part of GNOME and looks different? Or maybe everything what uses GTK is bad only because it's GTK based? Do you never heard about desktops like Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce? All three are using GTK3 currently.

Why should I be pissed if you "start about themes"? GTK3 isn't changing since 2016 so themes made for 3.22 version won't break in future. You gonna post me outdated links?

Comment

Not really sure if this is a good idea. I switched to Audacious because the GTK interface is just perfect. Much lighter than any Amarok style crap. It's really amazing how light the app is compared to modern KDE and Electron bloat. Maybe somebody has compared the performance already?

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    new options for its JACK plu-gin,
                    (plugin or plug-in if you love hyphens)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                      Interesting they adopting Qt. I was a user of Audacious until I discovered Qmmp, which was Qt and had the same Winamp/Xmms look.

Just another day nostalgia hit and I searched around for a Winamp skin for Qmmp. Too bad Audacious 4.0 dropped the minimalist UI. I hope they put back because for a "full screen" player looks like there are better options out there. But that is IMHO.
                      Same. I used to be an Audacious fan (mainly due to my Winamp addiction) until I switched to qmmp. Tried to go back but found that the program just went in a whole other direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X