X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for Audacity to also move to Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      For longtime Linux users who were fans of the XMMS audio player in the early 2000's, Audacious 4.0 has been released as the newest version of this XMMS-inspired audio player...
      Early 2000's?? Try 1997/1998 in the Napster heyday! Ran Linux (and XMMS) on a *dual* socket 7 board with a pair of Pentium 133's. The combination of newly available high speed home internet, Linux distros available on CD (InfoMagic 6-CD set anyone?? No more pile-o-floppies!), and free music from Napster was Good Times!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Time for Audacity to also move to Qt.
        Audacity uses wxwidgets... Sure on Linux it uses gtk, but wxwidgets can now be compiled with qt support.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCanadianBacon View Post
          Audacity uses wxwidgets... Sure on Linux it uses gtk, but wxwidgets can now be compiled with qt support.
          That's interesting. Distros should probably switch then.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            This makes sense in that Qt is better as a cross-platform toolkit compared to GTK.
            Except it's not in the best of shape in the 3.0 series, in the 3.1.x series it's a little better, but it's still early on for it to be considered stable.

Comment

I still use xmms, it still works.
              I did use Amarok 1.4 back in the day so maybe i should try Strawberry Music Player.
              I will try Audacious 4.0 and see if it's any good, does it still have the winamp gui option?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                Glad to learn that they didn’t go for the big pile of shit that is Gtk3! Good job!
                Still hating GTK3 in 2020, incredible. What makes GTK3 "big pile of shit"?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Still hating GTK3 in 2020, incredible. What makes GTK3 "big pile of shit"?
                  GTK3 is shit because he says its shit. He clearly has no idea how toolkits work or what kind of work is required to mantain one, but he's the expert.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Too bad Audacious 4.0 dropped the minimalist UI. I hope they put back because for a "full screen" player looks like there are better options out there. But that is IMHO.
                    Define "dropped the minimalist UI". Most of what you see in the screenshot is optional and, from what I remember, my Audacious 3.9 is on the GTK+ 2.x UI because the Qt UI in 3.9 hasn't reached feature parity, not because it couldn't be configured to match my preferred "tall-narrow window that's 95% playlist widget" layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                      I still use xmms, it still works.
                      I was gobsmacked to discover it's still packaged in Fedora and even that was a while ago. It's still there now. I mean we're talking about GTK1 here!

While you may be one of the last XMMS users in the world, I think I'm one of the last XMMS2 users in the world. There's 20 users in the IRC channel and I don't think all of them actually use it any more. Its build system doesn't appear to support Python 3.7 or above, which has suddenly become a problem for me. Between that, a couple of other bugs, and the fact that development is all but dead, I'm considering switching to MPD but it would be such a damn shame. It may be sorely lacking any good clients but the underlying architecture of XMMS2 is really good.

Comment

Working...
                      X