XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit

Phoronix: XMMS-Inspired Audacious 4.0 Released With Move From GTK To Qt5 Toolkit

For longtime Linux users who were fans of the XMMS audio player in the early 2000's, Audacious 4.0 has been released as the newest version of this XMMS-inspired audio player...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More and more serious programs are moving from GTK away to the leading toolkit Qt.

Comment

Glad to learn that they didn’t go for the big pile of shit that is Gtk3! Good job!

Comment

Interesting they adopting Qt. I was a user of Audacious until I discovered Qmmp, which was Qt and had the same Winamp/Xmms look.

Just another day nostalgia hit and I searched around for a Winamp skin for Qmmp. Too bad Audacious 4.0 dropped the minimalist UI. I hope they put back because for a "full screen" player looks like there are better options out there. But that is IMHO.

Comment

I have been using it for a long time, sitting in a small corner with a dark winamp looking theme. Small and light weight. I did not even think about the technology behind it. I hope this move to Qt will not effect me because I don't want to try to find a new audio application. I don't need new features. I would find it a bit ironic if they claim the move is because of GTK breaking API and then themselves breaks the application for users by adding too much bloat. The day when I am forced into the new UI and if I don't like it any more I will switch. For now I will continue and pretend that nothing has happened.

Comment

Since they don't support the XMMS look I won't be switching.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              More and more serious programs are moving from GTK away to the leading toolkit Qt.
              I understand it is easier to develop with Qt for multi platform support (Linux/Windows/Mac) but sadly you'll always notice the poor fonts rendering quality compared to GTK. Well I am OK with it as it comes for free and still is FOSS I just wish it could be so pixel perfect as GTK rendering.

Comment

I think GTK 3 is good, and I look forward to GTK 4, that said it makes sense for XMMS to use Qt 5 because XMMS is heavily skinned, and for that Qt 5 is very suitable.

GTK and Qt are both great. GTK is very nice on the Linux desktop and the GNOME desktop, and Qt is very nice in heavily skinned applications and in games.

GTK! ❤️
                Qt! ❤️

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  Audacious had multiple interfaces including GTK and Qt for years. The new version simply updated the Qt interface.

For me the big feature is the lyrics being loaded locally. Well, would have been hadn't I recently switched to Cantata+MPD... Still, might look into it in a few months whenever my distro picks it up.

Comment

This makes sense in that Qt is better as a cross-platform toolkit compared to GTK.

Comment

Working...
                    X