Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Developers Still Managing Interesting Improvements Amid The World Happenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Still Managing Interesting Improvements Amid The World Happenings

Phoronix: KDE Developers Still Managing Interesting Improvements Amid The World Happenings

KDE development is moving full-speed ahead amid the various lock-downs and other happenings around the world stemming from the novel coronavirus. This week saw a lot of interesting improvements for the open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Neither virus nor rain nor pants nor gloom of 144hz stays these programmers from the swift completion of their appointed code.

Comment

Overall, yes. Us software developers probably have it easiest with this virus.
      Many of us are happy to avoid people.
      Unfortunately being sick myself, I have recently woken up and is surprised at all the changes. It's like 2 weeks disappeared on me :-(

My own OSS project has been struggling in my absence. It's not nearly as big as the KDE team.

Comment

I would use KDE only if their apps weren't so ugly. Global menu helps, but compared to GTK and GNOME they are not even near. Qt apps that don't have good simple alternative in Gtk world are Kolourpaint and Kdenlive. I hope Gnome eventually accepts Mac like Global menu for complex apps such as GIMP.
        Last edited by paupav; 22 March 2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

At least coding can be done in home office, I'll be at work. It's of course sane to stop social spare time activities with such a highly contagious and dangerous virus (exponential function...), but on the other hand... I still got to go to work. And even during a curfew here we will since we're deemed "system-relevant".
          Let's just hope we'll get over this crisis, soon - and let politics also see this as a chance to improve the world's health systems.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            Overall, yes. Us software developers probably have it easiest with this virus.
            Many of us are happy to avoid people.
            Unfortunately being sick myself, I have recently woken up and is surprised at all the changes. It's like 2 weeks disappeared on me :-(

My own OSS project has been struggling in my absence. It's not nearly as big as the KDE team.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
              I would use KDE only if their apps weren't so ugly.

Comment

I would use KDE only if their apps weren't so ugly. Global menu helps, but compared to GTK and GNOME they are not even near.
                Disney animators approve of your message.

Comment

Patches welcome.

Comment

I don't think they're ugly. I like them very much.
                    What exactly do you think is ugly?

Comment

Working...
                    X