System76 May Offer AMD Ryzen Laptops When They Begin Their Own Manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I've been waiting for an AMD open-source laptop that isn't garbage for a long time now. If they're looking at adding Navi laptop GPUs then I'll wait some more
    What's yours definition of garbage? For me, I'm satisfied with my A485, because it has got water/spill resistant keyboard, and also quite solid build. Though, it does have only one heat pipe for CPU, it's good laptop and not garbage. I think, HP EliteBook/ProBook or Dell Latitude series will do fine as well,...

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
      I've always wanted to support a strong Linux hardware vendor. They need AMD options to get my support though.
      I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy, so I totally agree. I've bought AMD even when everyone was convinced they were terrible(FX-6100,8350 desktops)(Pre-Ryzen APU's: A10-5750m,FX-9800p). BUT when it comes to buying Linux-made machines, when looking at System76 vs Dell I tend to lean towards getting a Dell because battery life is longer. One thing I don't understand is: Couldn't I just get a Dell XPS with the same specs as the Ubuntu-Developer edition and add their driver PPAs's? System76's main appeal to me is the boutique feel & name. It's definitely a conversation starter lol.

Comment

Originally posted by drownthepoor View Post

I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy, so I totally agree. I've bought AMD even when everyone was convinced they were terrible(FX-6100,8350 desktops)(Pre-Ryzen APU's: A10-5750m,FX-9800p). BUT when it comes to buying Linux-made machines, when looking at System76 vs Dell I tend to lean towards getting a Dell because battery life is longer. One thing I don't understand is: Couldn't I just get a Dell XPS with the same specs as the Ubuntu-Developer edition and add their driver PPAs's? System76's main appeal to me is the boutique feel & name. It's definitely a conversation starter lol.
        Well, RedHat uses ThinkPad(s) a lot,... therefore, these laptops could get lots of support. Though, no official from Lenovo, but from RedHat (partner: https://www.redhat.com/en/partners/lenovo).

However, ThinkPads have had quite solid and sturdy build/case in past,... newer models don't feel that strong. So,... in future, series like HP EliteBook or Dell Latitude could be better alternative.

Comment

So how are they going to use coreboot with them? Isn't closed AGESA an issue? It would be great of course if that's possible.

Comment

That's the same Jeremy Soller who is developing RedoxOS! I didn't realize he's working for this company. Maybe one day they will ship Laptops with RedoxOS preinstalled

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Keep on dreaming ... about open firmware in a laptop.

That PSP function in the newer AMD CPUs surely will not get open sourced, like the Intel ME "spyware" in Intel CPUs. Heck, the AMD PSP might even be more difficult than Intel ME to "neuter".
              Agreed!

It would be really nice to see a list of stuff that is actually "open" on these machines. So far I cannot really find anything...

Comment

hooray!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Agreed!

It would be really nice to see a list of stuff that is actually "open" on these machines. So far I cannot really find anything...
                  The laptop lid is "open". After that it's anyone's guess!

Comment

In one way, I am glad they make that. However, I have been snooping around about their laptops and so far all of them have been "thin and ultralight". Just LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.

I'll be actually excited if they move into filling that hole no other company does right now: An actually useful laptop for professionals, not only students. Something that instead of chasing thin and light goes for bigger battery, good thermal dissipation, plenty of ports and sturdiness. Basically, a "modern", AMD based and preferibly with a nice numpad Thinkpad T60. I'll totally buy that!

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir86 View Post
                      In one way, I am glad they make that. However, I have been snooping around about their laptops and so far all of them have been "thin and ultralight". Just LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.

I'll be actually excited if they move into filling that hole no other company does right now: An actually useful laptop for professionals, not only students. Something that instead of chasing thin and light goes for bigger battery, good thermal dissipation, plenty of ports and sturdiness. Basically, a "modern", AMD based and preferibly with a nice numpad Thinkpad T60. I'll totally buy that!
                      Plus water/spill resistant keyboard,... and, without numpad (for me). Also, Ryzen 4x00U (or 5x00U) configured to 25 cTDP, with USB4 for eGPU, would be a very tempting laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X