No announcement yet.

System76 May Offer AMD Ryzen Laptops When They Begin Their Own Manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryzen+Coreboot+freedom EC/SIO would be extremely neat!
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Just offer one with an arm or riscv cpu. Sick and tired off that x86 crap thats been on life support for so long.

​​​​​

Comment

About time. I would shop System76 if they offered laptops that weren't just Intel. There was that thing about an ARM based laptop which I was really interested in, but the wait is too long.
        Originally posted by Slithery View Post
        How do you see the screen then?
        Semantics aside, he's got a good point. Bottom-firing speakers are pretty stupid.
        Y'know what I think would be cool? Is that LCD technology where the screen itself vibrates to produce audio. I think that'd be cool and practical in something like a laptop, at least one without a touchscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Y'know what I think would be cool? Is that LCD technology where the screen itself vibrates to produce audio.
          Indeed! You wouldn't even need the motion-blur graphics feature in games anymore, just wait until the bass kicks in...

Comment

I've been waiting for an AMD open-source laptop that isn't garbage for a long time now. If they're looking at adding Navi laptop GPUs then I'll wait some more

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              Just offer one with an arm or riscv cpu. Sick and tired off that x86 crap thats been on life support for so long.

​​​​​
              Well, for laptop the one on life support is riscv (assuming it's alive), not x86.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
                I've always wanted to support a strong Linux hardware vendor. They need AMD options to get my support though.
                Agreed, it would be nice to support a laptop vendor that uses AMD CPUs, but AMD will need to seriously step up their game in providing "chipset support" if that laptop is planning to run any OS other than Windoze.

The issues with thermal sensor support, or lack thereof or slow introduction thereof, in Linux for recent AMD CPUs is will documented in these forums and elsewhere.

Thermal sensor support in a laptop is critical to safe (nobody wants the battery to overheat from overcharging, right?) and durable operation (laptops are not cheep to obtain, and lame Chromebooks ain't laptops) of the device ... unless you subscribe to today's "throwaway culture" that simply buys a new one when the current one breaks down for whatever reason, even if it might be repairable by a skilled laptop support tech.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
                  AMD + open firmware in a Linux-friendly laptop = 💓
                  Keep on dreaming ... about open firmware in a laptop.

That PSP function in the newer AMD CPUs surely will not get open sourced, like the Intel ME "spyware" in Intel CPUs. Heck, the AMD PSP might even be more difficult than Intel ME to "neuter".

Comment

Originally posted by Rexerex View Post
                    What is the placement of speakers? I accept speakers only right in front of the screen.
                    I once had an HP "Entertainment Series" laptop with that sort of physical configuration. Actually the speakers fired up from the same physical plane as the keyboard; they were physically located just in front of the keyboard, next to the hinges for the 17 inch screen. It could unfold to a fairly flat form, doubling it's already expansive desktop footprint.

On nice days, and if it were actually waterproof, it's unfolded footprint could double as a surfboard down at the beach!

Comment

Bartender, libre systems for everyone!

Sire, is that an coreboot libre?

Bartender, thats a libre system for everyone and a coreboot libre system for this gentleman!

Sire, Is that a blob free, coreboot libre system?

Bartender, cancel that coreboot.

Comment

Working...
                      X