Firefox 76 Enabling VA-API Wayland Acceleration For All Video Codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I use KDE on Wayland daily in Tumbleweed, without any particular problems. It is true that some things are still missing, but in general it works well and I use the full-wayland session. Is it ready to be the default? Still not, precisely because there are still some shortcomings. Do the other DEs work well in Wayland? Aside from Gnome, I don't know! Indeed some DEs don't work at all!
    Fault of KDE? What do you want me to tell you, KDE is a community, it doesn't have Red Hat doing the job, so be patient or help the team.
    It's not like KDE is stable on X11 either.... Well, these days it kinda is (i still experience some bugs/crushes here and there occasionally) but in the past KDE was garbage on X11 too. I just don't feel "safe" when running a Plasma session, even on X11. It is not KDE 4.0 kind of bad, but in my opinion the issue with KDE community is that they never put stability and quality first, they always rush for more bells and whistles. KDE is flashy but not dependable, it took years to make X11 approach KDE 3 levels of stability. So it is no surprise that there is no stability to be seen on the Wayland session.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

It's not like KDE is stable on X11 either.... Well, these days it kinda is (i still experience some bugs/crushes here and there occasionally) but in the past KDE was garbage on X11 too. I just don't feel "safe" when running a Plasma session, even on X11. It is not KDE 4.0 kind of bad, but in my opinion the issue with KDE community is that they never put stability and quality first, they always rush for more bells and whistles. KDE is flashy but not dependable, it took years to make X11 approach KDE 3 levels of stability. So it is no surprise that there is no stability to be seen on the Wayland session.
      I disagree on the stability of Plasma 5, today it is mature and stable, however some distributions treat it as second-class DE and does not receive the right attention. I use Plasma on both openSUSE Leap, and in Tumbleweed and it is very stable, opensSUSE Leap we also use it in the company where I work and it would not have been chosen if it were not stable.

Comment

That's nice, that means that sometime in the future when you might meet a woman for the first time in your life, you will be prepared to act gently. It is always nice to prepare, don't be like the other incels.
        You're still bleeding?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

You're still bleeding?
          Nah, that was your mom.

Comment

Nah, that was your mom.
            I'm glad you're not bleeding anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I disagree on the stability of Plasma 5, today it is mature and stable, however some distributions treat it as second-class DE and does not receive the right attention. I use Plasma on both openSUSE Leap, and in Tumbleweed and it is very stable, opensSUSE Leap we also use it in the company where I work and it would not have been chosen if it were not stable.
              Yeah, today it is mature and stable, but i am on Archlinux and MESA on AMD hardware and i still get occasional bugs on X11. And how many years it took to reach that point since KDE 4.0?

Anyway, having a level of maturity in 2020 for X11, while the opensource world is almost completely ready to move on Wayland (and KDE is really behind on that front), is not a big deal.

Comment

Working...
              X