Firefox 76 Enabling VA-API Wayland Acceleration For All Video Codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Damn. I didn't realize thanking the company and developer doing the work was trolling. I suppose if one is straight up retarded then thanking Martin for work on Gnome is like telling Nate to piss off for work on KDE

Also think it's funny that me, a so-called butthurt KDE fanboy, is backing up the supposed Gnome troll. If this was a KDE thread I'd be smacking him with a broom yelling "GTFO you damn trash panda bastard"...but this isn't a KDE thread, he's not wrong in what he's saying, and just because he's passionately positive about something doesn't make him a troll.
    This.

If someone here is trolling, then it's mostly Danny3 in my opinion. I haven't read such an amount of totally moronic posts here lately.

Just one thing:

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I assume that these distros come with Gnome 3 by default, which I hate, so I cannot use them.
    Well, your taste but also your problem.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    KDE has some Wayland support, but it's still buggy, so unless they bring this feature to Xorg too, it's like it doesn't exist for me.
    Well,... your problem.

KDE has really fallen behind lately, so I won't say it works well with Wayland, because for my taste it surely doesn't. It's just not enough currently, and it has been this way for quite some time now. You'll need to notice other environments do work well enough with Wayland for daily usage, and there is also visible progress. It's getting better day by day.

You might stay in the old world for the time being, but it's just not right to try to stop all things advancing because you don't like not to be on the current location of progress. And it surely won't help beating a dead horse: X.org is dead. No more progress there, people moved on for the most part. Too much cruft, too much legacy technology. Too much of a maintenance burden to advance the cluttered codebase. Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Maybe not directly, but there is a VDPAU backend for VA-API that now includes experimental support for VP9: https://github.com/xtknight/vdpau-va-driver-vp9
      Sure, but does it work flawlessly? Does it work better than Wayland support on NVidia?

I'm certain you can make it work, but you can use Wayland on Nvidia too and that didn't seem to be good enough for the original poster.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 20 March 2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Danny3The news you are currently commenting on is about how Martin is going to make Firefox shine on GNOME@Wayland.
        This news was about making Firefox better on Wayland. It has nothing to do with GNOME specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Indeed, your lack of intelligence and reading comprehension is the explanation of why Linux is steady at 1%, people are morons and thus don't appreciate quality and freedom....

Just in case you are wondering, he is not getting roasted for his question. His post contained 2 parts, a question, and a statement. He is getting roasted for the statement....
          You just proved my point.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

You just proved my point.
            Indeed i did, that is what i wrote. Don't worry though, we smart people are accepting, we don't judge.

Comment

Indeed i did, that is what i wrote. Don't worry though, we smart people are accepting, we don't judge.
              You're exhibit A

Comment

You're exhibit A
                OK kid, now go back to your mom.

Comment

OK kid, now go back to your mom.
                  I'm sorry if I offended you, I always try to be very gentle with women on their periods.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

This.

If someone here is trolling, then it's mostly Danny3 in my opinion. I haven't read such an amount of totally moronic posts here lately.

Just one thing:

Well, your taste but also your problem.

Well,... your problem.

KDE has really fallen behind lately, so I won't say it works well with Wayland, because for my taste it surely doesn't. It's just not enough currently, and it has been this way for quite some time now. You'll need to notice other environments do work well enough with Wayland for daily usage, and there is also visible progress. It's getting better day by day.

You might stay in the old world for the time being, but it's just not right to try to stop all things advancing because you don't like not to be on the current location of progress. And it surely won't help beating a dead horse: X.org is dead. No more progress there, people moved on for the most part. Too much cruft, too much legacy technology. Too much of a maintenance burden to advance the cluttered codebase. Dead.

I use KDE on Wayland daily in Tumbleweed, without any particular problems. It is true that some things are still missing, but in general it works well and I use the full-wayland session. Is it ready to be the default? Still not, precisely because there are still some shortcomings. Do the other DEs work well in Wayland? Aside from Gnome, I don't know! Indeed some DEs don't work at all!
                    Fault of KDE? What do you want me to tell you, KDE is a community, it doesn't have Red Hat doing the job, so be patient or help the team.

Comment

I'm sorry if I offended you, I always try to be very gentle with women on their periods.
                      That's nice, that means that sometime in the future when you might meet a woman for the first time in your life, you will be prepared to act gently. It is always nice to prepare, don't be like the other incels.

Comment

Working...
                      X