Firefox 76 Enabling VA-API Wayland Acceleration For All Video Codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    So does this include X11 support too? As an Nvidia user, Wayland isn't ready by a long shot.
    In addition to the X11 part of this question that's been gone over many times now, I want to point out something additional that everyone seems to have missed.

Nvidia doesn't even support VA-API.

So.... Nope, doesn't seem like this is going to help you much even if it did support X11.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Fedora, SUSE, RHEL and Debian are shipping with Wayland by default, Fedora has for years.

ffmpeg isn't a web browser, firefox has to embed that video with other content, how they're doing it is different on Wayland and Xorg. Wayland was first because it's the current technology and relatively easier.
      I assume that these distros come with Gnome 3 by default, which I hate, so I cannot use them.
      KDE has some Wayland support, but it's still buggy, so unless they bring this feature to Xorg too, it's like it doesn't exist for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Bingo ! You need to understand that bit before you understand why it isn't there. Every project has it's own policies on how to implement into mainstream (is it the right/wrong way, dirty/clean, etc). Because someone else has done it does not mean it's up for mainstream, DXVK for wine is a prime/recent example of this.
        Do Firefox developers even have a policy how to implement it into mainstream ?
        And what mainstream ?
        They've implemented it for Wayland, which, as far as I know, no distro comes with it by default.
        Xorg is mainstream, not Wayland.
        But I think they just took the easy path, like always.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          Without Ubuntu wayland is a dead end. NVIDIA Will not support few desktop users with fedora or debian. About vaapi on Firefox is a red hat choice. Not against NVIDIA since they are the primary partners in Linux world and ONLY a sub from IBM who gives up from Linux desktop years ago
          What are you talking about. Ubuntu has been offering the Wayland session for years now. It just is not their default session. Ubuntu on Wayland works very well and has no major issues.
          And as said before, Nvidia graphics hardware has lots of issues with hardware based video decoding, particularly on linux. There is a nice thread on the Nvidia forums about this. Some users there have actually tested different cases using VDPAU, vaapi, NVDEC and software decoding and it turned out that software decoding was more (power) efficient on Nvidia hardware then using any form of hardware based decoding.
          Last edited by FPScholten; 20 March 2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Ouch, you've been roasted for asking a question, now you know what Linux fanboyism is like and why it's steady at 1%.
            Indeed, your lack of intelligence and reading comprehension is the explanation of why Linux is steady at 1%, people are morons and thus don't appreciate quality and freedom....

Just in case you are wondering, he is not getting roasted for his question. His post contained 2 parts, a question, and a statement. He is getting roasted for the statement....

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

19 people support trolling and GNOME and KDE's death.

When you like 144Hz, you like trolling.
              When you like 144Hz, you like killing the other desktops and achieving the evil monopoly GNOME is!
              A freaking man-made disaster with no freedom!

Ugh, or did you create 19 accounts to like yourself...?
              You are the ones trolling. There are more posts by KDE butthurt fanboys complaining about 144Hz than posts by him. Seriously, get a life, he is a fanboy of GNOME so what? Stop whinging.
              Last edited by TemplarGR; 20 March 2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Damn. I didn't realize thanking the company and developer doing the work was trolling. I suppose if one is straight up retarded then thanking Martin for work on Gnome is like telling Nate to piss off for work on KDE

Also think it's funny that me, a so-called butthurt KDE fanboy, is backing up the supposed Gnome troll. If this was a KDE thread I'd be smacking him with a broom yelling "GTFO you damn trash panda bastard"...but this isn't a KDE thread, he's not wrong in what he's saying, and just because he's passionately positive about something doesn't make him a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Feel free to contribute the patches, no one is blocking this.
                  I cannot contribute patches to any serious project right now because of the fact that I'm anticipating a name change, and I don't want my old name to stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Nvidia doesn't even support VA-API.
                    Maybe not directly, but there is a VDPAU backend for VA-API that now includes experimental support for VP9: https://github.com/xtknight/vdpau-va-driver-vp9

Code:
                    $ vainfo
                    libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
                    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
                    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_6
                    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
                    vainfo: VA-API version: 1.7 (libva 2.6.0)
                    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API - 0.7.4
                    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                    VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileMPEG4Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple : VAEntrypointVLD
                    <unknown profile> : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
                    VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD