Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.0 Git Adds Skia-Based Text Rendering Support

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.0 Git Adds Skia-Based Text Rendering Support

With the in-development LibreOffice 7.0 one of the headlining changes is making use of Google's Skia library and with that is Vulkan rendering support. That initial implementation was using Skia to draw the UI while now it's also picking up text rendering responsibilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But will it be more user friendly?
    And will it be easier to effortlessly create beautiful documents, spreadsheets and presentations?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      But will it be more user friendly?
      And will it be easier to effortlessly create beautiful documents, spreadsheets and presentations?
      LibreOffice is already user friendly. You can choose a suitable interface for your needs.

Comment

is it possible they could make a vulkan text acceled code editor as a new app of the suite that doesn't spy on you and send data mining to micro$oft ?

that would be a great alternative to visual SPYio code( with new shiny keystroke logger 2019 and "hidden data miner#" ).

"libreoffice.Coder" ?
        acutally better like "libreoffice.CoderHero" because you would be a hero if u didn't use micro$oft.
        Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 18 March 2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
          that would be a great alternative to visual SPYio code( with new shiny keystroke logger 2019 and "hidden data miner#" ).
          Free/Libre Open Source Software Binaries of VSCode

Comment

I see your trying to use it and hope people actually strip the tracking but...
            If i am not getting vulkan accel text with flames and particles shouldn't I just use: https://sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/un...-introduction/ ?

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

LibreOffice is already user friendly. You can choose a suitable interface for your needs.
              But Microsoft Office feels much more smooth, elegant, sleek, modern. The stuff I create in LibreOffice is dull and look like something from 1995 while the stuff I create in Microsoft Office looks beautiful without me putting in any effort.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

LibreOffice is already user friendly.
                I disagree. Please keep your opinion to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  But Microsoft Office feels much more smooth, elegant, sleek, modern. The stuff I create in LibreOffice is dull and look like something from 1995 while the stuff I create in Microsoft Office looks beautiful without me putting in any effort.
                  Huh!? Are you just a fan of the Calibri font, or do you have anything serious to say about the differences?

I have recently begun using LibreOffice seriously for daily work. After some initial frustrations and learnings, I have to say LibreOffice actually in some ways actually feel more consistent than Microsoft Office.
                  • It is slightly more difficult to apply manual formatting in LO, whereas that seems the norm in MO (especially apparent in PowerPoint/Impress). This actually nudges you towards using the style system more and doing real word processing instead of "type writing". Using MO styles is a battle uphill with the automagic formatting!
                  • LO feels more integrated and you have almost same text and graphics tools available across the suite, whereas MO programs are doing similar things differently.
                  • Handling figures in LO Writer and using figure styles works slightly better than MO Word - but it is still a very manual process. (Tables are crap in both programs..)
                  • PDF import/export has been a feature in LO for ages and works really well!
                  • LO Draw is OK, but IMHO still slightly lacking compared to Visio (e.g. gallery/templates, handling of object text). However compared to the add-on price of Visio, LO Draw is plenty good!
                  • The web based MO office 365 programs are a drag to use...
                  • I have run into a couple of minor bugs in LO, but updates are coming fast! (MO has also been buggy for me)
                  In my experience a lot of people really cling to MO, because that is the only program they have ever learned. Apparently they fear learning something new...

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post

Huh!? Are you just a fan of the Calibri font, or do you have anything serious to say about the differences?

I have recently begun using LibreOffice seriously for daily work. After some initial frustrations and learnings, I have to say LibreOffice actually in some ways actually feel more consistent than Microsoft Office.
                    • It is slightly more difficult to apply manual formatting in LO, whereas that seems the norm in MO (especially apparent in PowerPoint/Impress). This actually nudges you towards using the style system more and doing real word processing instead of "type writing". Using MO styles is a battle uphill with the automagic formatting!
                    • LO feels more integrated and you have almost same text and graphics tools available across the suite, whereas MO programs are doing similar things differently.
                    • Handling figures in LO Writer and using figure styles works slightly better than MO Word - but it is still a very manual process. (Tables are crap in both programs..)
                    • PDF import/export has been a feature in LO for ages and works really well!
                    • LO Draw is OK, but IMHO still slightly lacking compared to Visio (e.g. gallery/templates, handling of object text). However compared to the add-on price of Visio, LO Draw is plenty good!
                    • The web based MO office 365 programs are a drag to use...
                    • I have run into a couple of minor bugs in LO, but updates are coming fast! (MO has also been buggy for me)
                    In my experience a lot of people really cling to MO, because that is the only program they have ever learned. Apparently they fear learning something new...
                    Sure the Calibri font is nice. but also in LibreOffice when you chose colors, the colors were like #0000ff, #00ff00, #ff000# like those kinds of colors that are really really red, and really really blue, mean while the color palette in Microsoft Office were a selection of beautiful colors.

Microsoft Office also have this nice ribbon interface that just presents me what I want, so I am not so cluttered by things I am not interested in.
                    When I click on a widget or expand a sidebar or something in LibreOffice it just abruptly pops in and out, while in Microsoft Office there lots of smooth, subtle transitions and animations that give a very pleasant user experience.

In LibreOffice if I write something, I have to style everything myself, or it looks crap. In Microsoft Office I don't have to think about styling, I just pick a header and write something, and it makes it look beautiful, without me having to do anything.

When I am using PowerPoint I can do all kinds of slide transitions and within my slides I can also do animations like for each bullet in a list, or add arrows, highlights and such. In PowerPoint it looks at what I am writing and then suggests me styles to beef up my boring presentation. The out-of-the-box templates are beautiful and makes my presentation looks cool and like as I am expert, even though I don't really much about Microsoft Office or making presentations.

Upon recently I hadn't actually used Microsoft Office, so I was more accustomed to LibreOffice, and then when I started using Microsoft Office at work I noticed how pleasant it was.

Comment

Working...
                    X