LibreOffice 7.0 Git Adds Skia-Based Text Rendering Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Sure the Calibri font is nice. but also in LibreOffice when you chose colors, the colors were like #0000ff, #00ff00, #ff000# like those kinds of colors that are really really red, and really really blue, mean while the color palette in Microsoft Office were a selection of beautiful colors.
    If only that was true... Now LibreOffice has also substituted these primary colors in the palette with "beautiful colors" [sigh]

Microsoft Office also have this nice ribbon interface that just presents me what I want, so I am not so cluttered by things I am not interested in.
    When I click on a widget or expand a sidebar or something in LibreOffice it just abruptly pops in and out, while in Microsoft Office there lots of smooth, subtle transitions and animations that give a very pleasant user experience.
    Personally, I am no fan of the ribbon, which feels bloated and confusing to me. I seem to have to spend a lot of time to change between ribbons to get the function I need. Of course, I can then enjoy the smooth, subtle transitions instead of just doing real work.

In LibreOffice if I write something, I have to style everything myself, or it looks crap. In Microsoft Office I don't have to think about styling, I just pick a header and write something, and it makes it look beautiful, without me having to do anything.
    Exactly! Word is like a typewriter with a Clippy ("Oh! It looks like your are writing a letter") trying to change my styles all the time.

When I am using PowerPoint I can do all kinds of slide transitions and within my slides I can also do animations like for each bullet in a list, or add arrows, highlights and such. In PowerPoint it looks at what I am writing and then suggests me styles to beef up my boring presentation. The out-of-the-box templates are beautiful and makes my presentation looks cool and like as I am expert, even though I don't really much about Microsoft Office or making presentations.
    You know, there is now a saying: "If you haven't got a point, make a PowerPoint". Who can argue with cool transitions and animated bullets and arrows???
    (Hint: If your presentation is boring, no amount of PowerPoint make-up will keep your audience awake! It might even make you look superficial and make them laugh at you behind your back...)
    Last edited by Veto; 03-19-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Ugh, uid early birds every LibreOffice thread to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I disagree. Please keep your opinion to yourself.
        Practice what you preach.

Comment

But Microsoft Office feels much more smooth, elegant, sleek, modern. The stuff I create in LibreOffice is dull and look like something from 1995 while the stuff I create in Microsoft Office looks beautiful without me putting in any effort.
          So does LibreOffice when used with Tabbed or GroupTab interface. Key difference is LibreOffice is mostly done by volunteers contributors while Microsoft had an army of paid developers and visual designers. A good designer can create a magnificent template with available tools like LibreOffice.

Comment

I plain hate ribbons, for a simple reason: it hides features. So whenever I start looking for some feature I don't use everyday, I've got to go through each ribbon individualy. Also visual cues in each ribbon are aweful, and it just looks like a bunch of things put together, and some ribbons got misleading names.
            When using LibreOffice I use the side bar configuration, this way I've got features sorted quite logically and it's got that Nisus Writer vibe I just love.

Comment

I use both Office365 and LibreOffice and both have their merits. At work I use the Microsoft product (on Windows) and it usually just plain works. Great for creating standard documents for work and presentations for meetings etc.

At home I have Ubuntu with Libreoffice. And it works very well for creating non standard documents and other work that I usually find a pain to do in Office365.

LibreOffice also feels much faster then Office365 to me, courtesy of being locally installed, instead of being a cloud based platform. Even had Office365 refusing to start sometimes or becoming awfully slow because of insufficient bandwidth. I do not like cloud based computing....

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Ugh, uid early birds every LibreOffice thread to complain.
                Yeah, but overall I like LibreOffice though. It's not too bad, and its usable. I haven't used it much, but it seem to work. But Microsoft Office is really nice though.

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                So does LibreOffice when used with Tabbed or GroupTab interface. Key difference is LibreOffice is mostly done by volunteers contributors while Microsoft had an army of paid developers and visual designers. A good designer can create a magnificent template with available tools like LibreOffice.
                Maybe so, but out-of-the-box, Microsoft Office offers a more pleasant UI.
                I am not a designer, I have no desire to design anything, I just want to focus on the content and write something and have it look beautiful without me putting in any effort.

Comment

Maybe so, but out-of-the-box, Microsoft Office offers a more pleasant UI.
                  Maybe for you, not so with others who dislike the Ribbon type look as default. Personally, LibreOffice with Compact GroupTab and Sift icons look more elegant, modern and more touch screen friendly.
                  Perhaps you can provide a rationale to LibreOffice development for a better out-of-box experience in term of interface.

I am not a designer, I have no desire to design anything, I just want to focus on the content and write something and have it look beautiful without me putting in any effort.
                  Then it is more about you then the tools in case. A good example, you can have a very good expensive camera and still suck at taking photos without the fundamentals.
                  Last edited by finalzone; 03-20-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                    is it possible they could make a vulkan text acceled code editor as a new app of the suite that doesn't spy on you and send data mining to micro$oft ?

that would be a great alternative to visual SPYio code( with new shiny keystroke logger 2019 and "hidden data miner#" ).

"libreoffice.Coder" ?
                    acutally better like "libreoffice.CoderHero" because you would be a hero if u didn't use micro$oft.
                    it's unclear why do you code in text editor instead of real ide and how vulkan acceleration of text rendering will help you

Comment

Working...
                    X