Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deusexmachina
    replied
    Would love to see some Linux optimization contributions for Pale Moon & ungoogled-chromium.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    In comparison to Windows problems it's nothing.
    I've had zero problems with W10 Enterprise LTSC and it's been rock solid so far. My friends are happy as well. Meanwhile most people's laptop battery life under Linux is pathetic since neither Chrome, nor Firefox support HW accelerated video decoding and general 2D performance is often lacking. Yeah, please quote imaginary Windows "privacy" issues (not proven by anyone yet) while basic desktop features in Linux are just not yet there, 30 freaking years after its inception. I mean Windows, as we know it, was first released in 1995 and by Windows XP (2001) it was near perfect (supported everything under the Sun, had all the features for all walks of life). That's less than 10 years. I do understand that Microsoft had its monopoly and tons of resources but VDPAU was released around 2008, VA-API was released shortly after, i.e. 12 freaking years ago. Yeah, let's talk about Windows issues.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by vegabook View Post
    More generally, to avoid JVM-ization of the web, through Chrome running away with it, we need to acknowledge that web standards are a public good, that they therefore deserve tax dollars. Firefox should probably be federally funded.
    Many years, Mozilla has gotten more money from Google for helping Google sling ads than it could spend on Firefox. Lack of funding is not their issue. If they do run out of money, it's just pure mismanagement.

So, no thank you on the "new taxes to bail out the web browsing [advertising] companies" idea.

Leave a comment:

• vegabook
    replied
    None of this really matters until Firefox can render video at anything like the performance of Chrom(e|ium). On regular x86 firefox is fine (though hogs CPU), but try watching any video on a RPI or even a Jetson (right up to TX2, not just Nano), and it's just. rubbish. Arguably up to half of web content is now delivered via video so Firefox needs to solve this before doing anything else.

More generally, to avoid JVM-ization of the web, through Chrome running away with it, we need to acknowledge that web standards are a public good, that they therefore deserve tax dollars. Firefox should probably be federally funded.
    Last edited by vegabook; 15 March 2020, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I made a screenshot to better describe that formatting issue I'm seeing.

The red circle is what appears to belong together, but doesn't.
    The blue circle is what actually belongs together, but appears separate.
    The green wavy line is unnecessary padding that decreases legibility and causes the issue.
    The purple wavy line is where that padding should be to increase legibility.

My one and only trade school certification is layout and design.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Mozilla's own Kraken benchmark has a slight advantage for Firefox still over Chrome.
    You don't say

Michael
    On a serious note, could you add some formatting spaces between your Comments on the benchmark results and the Title Header on the next benchmark results. It looks like you are commenting on what's to come and not on what was just benchmarked.

I feel icky posting this from Firefox.....on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    Not caring about their performance difference enough to switch.
    Firefox does a good enough job for me. I'd rather take the small performance hit than get more Google infestations than I already have.
    Some infestations are worse than others...

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    If Mozilla weren't so greedy and busy to add data collection features and nagging people about them, maybe they would've had more time to work on performance which really matters.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Sigh. Yeah 2020, Linux still has major teething issues in regard to 2D performance. That's just horrible.
    In comparison to Windows problems it's nothing.

Leave a comment:

• d3coder
    replied
    How did you enabled webrender? Afaik you should enable gfx.webrender.all gfx.webrender.enabled gfx.webrender.compositor in about:config page to enable all webrender features

Leave a comment:

Working...
X