Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    for firefox. for chrome(os) it's entirely different matter
    That's why Chromium has hardware acceleration by default on Linux since years.... no wait.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      That's why Chromium has hardware acceleration by default on Linux since years.... no wait.
      I'm pretty sure accelerated video decode is enabled on Chromebooks / Chrome OS by default.

Comment

they need telemetry to know where performance really matters. It isn't as simple as "make it all go fast".

Also Linux is not anywhere near a priority and it's understandable.
        There is not such thing as telemetry is needed.
        Spyware cannot be needed.
        If they need feedback from the users, they need just to ask and listen.
        Is that hard for them to just make an online form with questions and answers, checkboxes and texts inputs ?
        And I think they know very well what people need, but just don't care.
        Look at video acceleration,
        Everyone knows that Youtube and other vide sharing platforms are very visited, they don't need spyware for that.
        And they know that hardware technology evolves, screens get higher resolutions (HD, 4K) and higher refresh rates (60 Hz, 120 Hz, 144 Hz), etc, again you don't need spyware for that.
        Just make sure that the browser can decode as efficiently as it can 4K at 60 FPS and that's it, you cover also lower resolutions and lower refresh rates.
        But no, they need tot invest most of their resources into things that no one uses or very few of use can afford such thing (VR).
        Do they need spyware to find that less than 1% of use have a VR device or that we we have one soon in the future ?
        Do they need spyware to find that Linux users want also proper Wayland support ?

But I wasn't complaining about this spyware that they say it's for own good, but I was complaining about the constant nagging about the sync feature that is everywhere now.
        1. Recommendation on first use of Firefox
        2. Top option of the menu
        3. Own big section in the preferences.
        4. By default icon for it in the toolbar
        At this point I'm not even sure if this are all the places where I've seen it and being annoyed about this aggresive marketing ala Microsoft just to get my data.

I don't want to sync my passwords and bookmarks with them. What's so hard to understand ?

And how Linux (free and open source software) is not a priority for a company that they say they want to protect people's privacy and freedom?
        How is that understandable ?
        Last edited by Danny3; 15 March 2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I don't want to sync my passwords and bookmarks with them. What's so hard to understand ?
          don't sync with them then. their sync syncs with you(your other firefoxes), they have no storage for it and it is encrypted with your key

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            Thanks! These videos are playing fine with VAAPI GPU video decoding on my end. No color distortion or artifacts.

What graphics card are you using? I'm using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers.
            Hm, so it's a hardware/driver issue.

I'm using a AMD RX 550 on my desktop (that quite frankly does not really need hardware acceleration anyway), and it is also the same on a AMD WX 2100 (Oland I think, it's using Radeon, not AMDGPU), and on an AMD APU 2400G Pro.

Surprise surprise, I just tried them on my work laptop with an Intel CPU/graphics, and its playing fine with hw accel enabled.

Goddamnit AMD.

I also have these chromium-vaapi v80 options enabled:

--ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-gpu-rasterization --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --enable-zero-copy
            Tried using these options to launch chromium, no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              There is not such thing as telemetry is needed.
              Yes, it tells how the software is used and what parts have issues or could be sped up better. It's not as simple as telling them what sites you visit and where you click (which is not terribly useful)

Spyware cannot be needed.
              Telemetry is not spyware.

If they need feedback from the users, they need just to ask and listen.
              Users can't provide technical information as they just click and use the application. Whatever they say is very generic. It's OK for bugs, but not for optimizations.

Look at video acceleration,
              On Windows and Android it works fine. Linux desktop is very close to irrelevant and they dedicate an adequate amount of resources to it (not much)
              Just make sure that the browser can decode as efficiently as it can
              They are not doing the decoding, even with software decoding they are using libraries to do that.

need tot invest most of their resources into things that no one uses or very few of use can afford such thing (VR).
              VR is (or was) seen as the future. To have something ready in the future they need to start investing now, you can't begin working on something years after it became popular or you end up like Windows Phone, that started developing years after Android had already taken over the mobile market.

Do they need spyware to find that Linux users want also proper Wayland support ?
              Do you need me to repeat multiple fucking times that they don't care as much about people on Linux as they care about people on Windows and Android?

constant nagging about the sync feature that is everywhere now.

At this point I'm not even sure if this are all the places where I've seen it and being annoyed about this aggresive marketing ala Microsoft just to get my data.
              It's encrypted and they don't have the key to decrypt it (and this is kind of obvious to know because the browser is opensource), they are just storing an encrypted archive.

They also offer the software and documentation to roll your own sync server on your own infrastructure. For example there are Docker containers for that.

And how Linux (free and open source software) is not a priority
              Because most people using this browser are not on Linux. Mozilla isn't making an OS, they are making a cross-platform application.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 March 2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Eh, I've been using it for a while on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (where the chromium is patched to be able to use HW accel) and it's like 25% of the videos and many livestreams are psychedelic colors and light shows.

Wish you better luck than me.
                The graphic flaws are only in the Xorg session, use Wayland and it will work very well.
                EDIT.
                I tried to enable the flags recommended by Xaero_Vincent and now on my Tumbleweed it works well with Xorg too. I also checked in chrome: // gpu / and hardware acceleration is active.
                Last edited by Charlie68; 15 March 2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Windows XP was utter crap. It didn't support a thing out of the box, it was BSOD hell for long time and it was probably the most vulnerable OS in existence. Oh and 3GB RAM support. Thanks
                  In my opinion Windows 7 was the best version of Windows.
                  It was so much less vulnerable than XP and still fairly compatible.

...wait what is the thread about? Is it about Firefox or Phorodows?
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 15 March 2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    The only race that matters for me at the moment is when my browser is feature complete on Wayland and Firefox works quite good now (except for copy&paste and scaling probably due to Gtk issues).
                    KDE user? Then it's a KDE bug:

Comment

Hm, so it's a hardware/driver issue.

I'm using a AMD RX 550 on my desktop (that quite frankly does not really need hardware acceleration anyway), and it is also the same on a AMD WX 2100 (Oland I think, it's using Radeon, not AMDGPU), and on an AMD APU 2400G Pro.

Surprise surprise, I just tried them on my work laptop with an Intel CPU/graphics, and its playing fine with hw accel enabled.

Goddamnit AMD.

Tried using these options to launch chromium, no difference.
                      I'm using Vivaldi and that's based on Chromium and looking at vivaldi://gpu I have everything hardware accelerated or enabled, except Vulkan. This are the command line parameters:

/usr/bin/vivaldi-stable --flag-switches-begin --enable-gpu-rasterization --enable-oop-rasterization --enable-zero-copy --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-smooth-scrolling --flag-switches-end --disable-webrtc-apm-in-audio-service --save-page-as-mhtml
                      I also have Radeon RX 5600 XT and the two videos you linked play without any problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X