Chrome 80 Against Firefox 74/75 Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Eh, I've been using it for a while on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (where the chromium is patched to be able to use HW accel) and it's like 25% of the videos and many livestreams are psychedelic colors and light shows.

Wish you better luck than me.
    So far so good. Any examples of problematic sites with videos that I can test?

Comment

Eh, I've been using it for a while on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (where the chromium is patched to be able to use HW accel) and it's like 25% of the videos and many livestreams are psychedelic colors and light shows.

Wish you better luck than me.
      I think that issue can be solved with this?:

Comment by Christopher Snowhill (kode54) - Thursday, 14 February 2019, 01:36 GMT This is because Chromium's VAAPI patch, much like Totem when using VAAPI, is not aware of what to do when the driver presents 10 bit per channel color surfaces. Radeon has been doing this for maybe a year or two now.

You can look into setting allow_rgb10_configs to false either for Chromium, or globally, in either your personal .drirc, or the system drirc.
      Taken from: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61731

Comment

Does anyone know what's up with the canvasmark test? It looks bugged to me - chrome and WR being so closely aligned to 5000 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

So far so good. Any examples of problematic sites with videos that I can test?
          Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCI8ajv1Bqs

and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLktJI6NLpY
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 March 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            The only race that matters for me at the moment is when my browser is feature complete on Wayland and Firefox works quite good now (except for copy&paste and scaling probably due to Gtk issues).
            I'm using Firefox in Wayland now and don't have any cut&paste issues, what problem exactly are you seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              I've had zero problems with W10 Enterprise LTSC and it's been rock solid so far. My friends are happy as well. Meanwhile most people's laptop battery life under Linux is pathetic since neither Chrome, nor Firefox support HW accelerated video decoding and general 2D performance is often lacking. Yeah, please quote imaginary Windows "privacy" issues (not proven by anyone yet) while basic desktop features in Linux are just not yet there, 30 freaking years after its inception. I mean Windows, as we know it, was first released in 1995 and by Windows XP (2001) it was near perfect (supported everything under the Sun, had all the features for all walks of life). That's less than 10 years. I do understand that Microsoft had its monopoly and tons of resources but VDPAU was released around 2008, VA-API was released shortly after, i.e. 12 freaking years ago. Yeah, let's talk about Windows issues.
              According to Martin Stransky(1) the main reason why VAAPI and hardware acceleration in general was not implemented or enabled in Firefox on Linux previously was the fact that the drivers where too bad and the FF Linux team didn't have the manpower to deal with driver specific workarounds. So with much better driver quality these days plus a saner display server protocol (Wayland), these things should be much easier for applications to implement.

Concerning Windows - well, there were plenty of things why people even back than preferred the Linux desktop. Probably not on the media / consumer site, but saying that Windows XP was nearly perfect - well, I disagree

Sure, graphics was and is a area where Windows has an edge. But it's getting smaller, no?

1: https://mastransky.wordpress.com/202...on-on-wayland/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                I've had zero problems with W10 Enterprise LTSC and it's been rock solid so far.
                i've had zero problems with linux and it's been rock solid so far. see how it works?

Comment

Also Linux is not anywhere near a priority and it's understandable.
                  for firefox. for chrome(os) it's entirely different matter

Comment

Thanks! These videos are playing fine with VAAPI GPU video decoding on my end. No color distortion or artifacts.

What graphics card are you using? I'm using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers.

I also have these chromium-vaapi v80 options enabled:

--ignore-gpu-blacklist
                    --enable-gpu-rasterization
                    --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers
                    --enable-zero-copy

Comment

BTW, not to hijack this Firefox thread:

It appears GPU video decoding is partially available in Firefox Linux but only on Wayland and only the H.264 video codec. No support for VP9 and X11 yet.

Ungoogled Chromium or Chromium-VAAPI is what you'll want otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X