Chrome 80 Against Firefox 74/75 Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    I'm pretty sure accelerated video decode is enabled on Chromebooks / Chrome OS by default.
    ChromeOS does not use the same code path of Linux Desktop (that was not even accepted in Chromoium, btw).

Afaik in ChromeOS the "browser" interfaces with the kernel modules directly to access hardware acceleration (also on ARM-based Chromebooks for that matter), there is no VAAPI middleman protocol/libraries or anything of the sort. Having full control over the whole firmware kind of helps there.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      The graphic flaws are only in the Xorg session, use Wayland and it will work very well.
      EDIT.
      I tried to enable the flags recommended by Xaero_Vincent and now on my Tumbleweed it works well with Xorg too. I also checked in chrome: // gpu / and hardware acceleration is active.
      Thanks, what hardware are you using (any GPU in the system, integrated in CPU and on PCIe slots)
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 March 2020, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
        I also have Radeon RX 5600 XT and the two videos you linked play without any problems.
        Thanks, are you using an Intel processor with an iGPU or is the RX 5600 xt the only GPU in the system? Afaik the hardware acceleration is still available in Intel iGPUs even if you install an additional card.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Thanks, what hardware are you using (any GPU in the system, integrated in CPU and on PCIe slots)
          I'm on a low-end notebook, AMD Quad Core E2-3800 processor and AMD HD Radeon 8280 graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Afaik in ChromeOS the "browser" interfaces with the kernel modules directly to access hardware acceleration (also on ARM-based Chromebooks for that matter), there is no VAAPI middleman protocol/libraries or anything of the sort. Having full control over the whole firmware kind of helps there.
            Actually, video acceleration for Chrome on CrOS goes through libv4l2, at least for most of the ARM chromebooks and possibly a few Intel ones.

There are a couple of VPU drivers in the mainline kernel with a v4l interface, but not for Intel/AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
              I'm a KDE user. But as Firefox is the only application with copy and paste issues, I'm not confident to state it is a KDE bug. There is one in Gnome too:

Comment

I have zero issues with W10 right effing now. It doesn't spy on me either, since I'm running W10 LTSC. Linux right effing now has TONs of issues. Linux fan-atics just cannot stop making up BS, LMAO.

I have made the following argument, "W10 spying has not been proven by anyone yet" (I'm not talking about LTSC specifically, I'm talking about any W10 version). Instead of actually giving me a counterargument, I'm shown some vague M$ document which the person didn't even read. LMAO.

Your argumentation sucks because it's void and nil. God, people are insane in their bigotry.

Comment

And while you're hating me for speaking the truth and providing hard evidence, I help resolve critical issues. Fan-atics are so re tarded unfortunately. Imaginary privacy W10 issues make it worse than perpetually half-baked, half-broken, half-complete desktop Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                    Not caring about their performance difference enough to switch.
                    Firefox does a good enough job for me. I'd rather take the small performance hit than get more Google infestations than I already have.
                    ^---- This. I'm losing the ability to tell where google ends and I begin.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      I have zero issues with W10 right effing now.
                      *pirated Enterprise long time supported version

It doesn't spy on me either, since I'm running W10 LTSC.
                      You can't prove this.

I have made the following argument, "W10 spying has not been proven by anyone yet"
                      and you refuse to acknowledge that what was written in the license agreement by highly payed lawyers isn't proof enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X