GNOME's Mutter Finally Wires Up Middle Button Click Emulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    r1348 Not according to the enterprise distributors. They picked GNOME.

The new discussion is about Wayland. Is it ready or not?
    Fixed it for you.

Comment

r1348 Not according to the distributors. They picked GNOME.

The new discussion is about Wayland. Is it ready or not?
      Seriously, who cares. Use what fits your needs, and don't bother those with different needs than yours.

Comment

Then again I'd like to see some more KDE news.
        ​I'm a gnome-shell user because it works for me (and I'm a simple guy when it comes to desktop UI's).
        Still for gnome-shell and mutter we get to know all the little details and improvements (which are awesome imo) but I have no idea what's the current Wayland state for KDE.
        ​​
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I think there isn't so much more information on KDE. A lot of talent (in terms of Linux graphical subsystem development) is centering around Gnome these days. The Gnome community seems to be more agile and better tooled these days, so KDE falls behind.

Comment

If we're going to bicker about GNOME vs KDE anyway, how come even Debian has to package a version of GTK3 with client side decorations disabled?

GNOME should start implementing robust standards and upstream them instead of going the WebKit route and say "we're the biggest market player anyway so as long as it works for us we don't care".

Comment

Djhg2000 So I just took a look at the gtk-nocsd package on Debian. It’s not maintained by normal GTK/GNOME team, last updated in mid 2016, heavily outdated packaging by any metrics.

Best part is the popcon stats. Installed by a few hundreds and used by less than hundred.

This is Next Level Devuan stuff. Thank you.
              Popcon participation is voluntary, with the default option being to not participate. Also, KDE didn't as much decide to not hate on CSD as they decided that GNOME is never going to go back to caring for the community.

I mean seriously, GNOME has had a long standing bug report where the 6% volume steps (which by the way make no sense on a scale from 0% to 100%) are too large. What was their solution? Add a key combination to adjust it by 3% instead, then mark it as fixed without listening to feedback, most of which was that 3% was too much as well. Way to go caring about the community. Meanwhile pretty much every other DE, including GNOME 2 by the way, lets you override the step size.

I also don't just use KDE, I use the DE that fits best for the machine. The mentioned bug was the final drop for me as I kept hurting my ears when using built in sound cards with headphones. I can't have bugs like that and with GNOME 3 furthering their goal of removing everything useful I finally got fed up and moved on from trying to mangle my desktop into behaving like it did a month ago.

GNOME 3 can go and get aquired by Oracle for all I care. All they're doing is ruining GTK and pissing me off. And I used to convince my friends to give GNOME 3 a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
                If we're going to bicker about GNOME vs KDE anyway, how come even Debian has to package a version of GTK3 with client side decorations disabled?

GNOME should start implementing robust standards and upstream them instead of going the WebKit route and say "we're the biggest market player anyway so as long as it works for us we don't care".
                GNOME should upstream to what?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                  Applications need to be compatible with protocols, not the other way around.
                  The problem with compatibility with OBS is that there is no standard API to allow to capture screens and windows in Wayland. It's a problem with the protocol being lackluster, not the software being incompatible with Wayland, because it provides no possibility to accomplish what it needs.

Comment

Guest Your KDE problems belong in a KDE thread.
                    I don't use KDE (or any other DE), and I'm saying that this is a great reason why Wayland won't be usable in 20 years at this pace.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

The problem with compatibility with OBS is that there is no standard API to allow to capture screens and windows in Wayland. It's a problem with the protocol being lackluster, not the software being incompatible with Wayland, because it provides no possibility to accomplish what it needs.
                      There is a standard API, as part of the Freedesktop Portal APIs. Screen recording APIs do not belong in the compositor protocol and we have much better places to put it (e.g. dbus).

10 seconds of Googling would of made you aware of this, but that's probably too much to ask for.
                      Last edited by Britoid; 16 March 2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X