Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Finally Wires Up Middle Button Click Emulation

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Finally Wires Up Middle Button Click Emulation

Coming just past the GNOME 3.36.0 release is the merging of a year-old patch-set to tie in middle mouse button click emulation with libinput for Mutter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah. 3.36 doesnt seems to be branched out of master. So That might be in.

Comment

This is why I think Wayland is decades away from usability. Whatever benefits it can have to some (I don't care about my frames being perfect, I prefer per-application vsync settings and I think screen tearing is superior to input lag) are nothing compared to the lack of basic functionality, like compatibility with OBS, and the bad design choices forcing compositor developers to implement basic functionality via extensions. Windows can't even have any control over where they show up, so things like notifications, docks and something similar to dmenu require special attention from compositor developers. Since when should someone implementing a compositor care about something like functionality needed to properly handle pointer devices?

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        This is why I think Wayland is decades away from usability. Whatever benefits it can have to some (I don't care about my frames being perfect, I prefer per-application vsync settings and I think screen tearing is superior to input lag) are nothing compared to the lack of basic functionality, like compatibility with OBS, and the bad design choices forcing compositor developers to implement basic functionality via extensions. Windows can't even have any control over where they show up, so things like notifications, docks and something similar to dmenu require special attention from compositor developers. Since when should someone implementing a compositor care about something like functionality needed to properly handle pointer devices?
        The Wayland protocol allows less input lag than Xorg when you start to implement things like direct scan out

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Guest Your KDE problems belong in a KDE thread.
          He doesn't mention KDE. And besides: you're one to talk! You always infiltrate KDE threads with your GNOME crap. You're free to to say stuff like this once you stop doing it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            compatibility with OBS
            Applications need to be compatible with protocols, not the other way around.

Comment

AFAIK OBS can record from Wayland - and do a better job than on X11 due to the implementation of dma-buf:

https://feaneron.com/2019/11/21/scre...io-on-wayland/
              https://feaneron.com/2020/02/24/even...me-on-wayland/
              https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/20...february-2020/
              This series of commits implement DMA-Buf sharing on top of PipeWire 0.3 new API. The framebuffers are all created in one go; during the stream, they're...
              Last edited by You-; 15 March 2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Vistaus He injects KDE problems into an unrelated wayland thread. Wayland IS ready, some desktops are not ready.
                How much does RedHat pay you to shill?

Comment

Vistaus He injects KDE problems into an unrelated wayland thread. Wayland IS ready, some desktops are not ready.
                  Stop hallucinating, he isn't talking of KDE.

Comment

It's 2020, and somehow Gnome vs. KDE is still a thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X