Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    It's funny. Forcing myself to use Gnome has made me appreciate what they're trying to do. Not necessarily like everything, but appreciate. I still prefer the crazy amount of settings that Plasma offers.
    GNOME is awesome, once you learn how to exploit it. While this applies to a certain extent to KDE as well, KDE in general is a more Windows-95-like environment and thus familiar to people out of the box. It offers more with some heavy configuring first. But still KDE is pretty much familiar and most people know what to expect and how to use it.

GNOME on the other hand, out of the box is very unfamiliar to non-GNOME users and much of its functionality and benefits are hidden. That's the main issue with GNOME Shell, people aren't getting a tutorial on how they are supposed to exploit it to their benefit. They need to start using it exclusively for weeks and months, and attempt to think creative ways to modify it to serve their workflow. Once they do, there is no going back, in my opinion.

GNOME is meant to be used with the keyboard more. While many people wrongly accuse it of being a tablet interface, this is far from the truth. It is more like a hybrid between the traditional DE and something like i3/Sway. The search is fast using the super+a couple of letters, and workspaces are unlimited and easy to access and configure. Who needs a taskbar when you can just use the keyboard?

I just love modern GNOME. I have been using it on Wayland for some time and i can't go back, it is really, really good. KDE on the other hand, is slow, and clunky. Fine if you prefer to keep working like it is still 95, and pretty, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Shocker!!! People like different things!!!

(and that's fine).
      The point was preferences evolve.
      Last edited by Volta; 12 March 2020, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I prefer Dash To Panel and kind of started relying on Multi-Monitors Add-on...and the NASA APOD for my wallpaper (I used that one on Plasma too).

Those and Clipboard Indicator are the only ones that I consider to be must haves. Except for the Multi-Monitors one, everything I use is already updated for and working on 3.36
        I'm using just one monitor, so I don't know what I would prefer. I have to give this NASA APOD a try. Looks interesting!

It's funny. Forcing myself to use Gnome has made me appreciate what they're trying to do. Not necessarily like everything, but appreciate. I still prefer the crazy amount of settings that Plasma offers.
        I also used to like this in Plasma, but now I think it's too much. I'm maybe using 30% of what Plasma offers and things I don't use are just distracting. For example I hate the right mouse button menu in Dolphin and they have also move Paste into new position which is totally confusing and irritating for me. There are also random hangs when accessing K menu or launching mentioned Dolphin and there were hangs with Kate.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          skeevy420 Silverblue is nothing special. Fedora QA is refocusing on default GNOME these days. It makes a lot of sense now that KDE is deprecated in RHEL.
          If you use both SIlverblue and Kinoite, there are tiny things here and there that makes the atomic method (seem) more fluid and tailored for Gnome.

Like, the first time opening up Software it'll prompt to add additional non-free repos. Open up Discover and you get, well, Discover. Go to read the documentation and it's full of use Gnome-This & Gnome-That.

That said, I'm starting week three of Silverblue and the stuff that hung me up on weeks one and two are non-existent. Knowing what I do now, the DE on SB integrating stuff is less and less needed and necessary even though it's appreciated, liked, and used.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Answer to those who haven’t left the win95 UIs:

Ok Boomer
            I'm a goddamn millennial

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I'm using just one monitor, so I don't know what I would prefer. I have to give this NASA APOD a try. Looks interesting!
              Occasionally it gives a low resolution, more technical photo. It is still my go-to for wallpapers.

I also used to like this in Plasma, but now I think it's too much. I'm maybe using 30% of what Plasma offers and things I don't use are just distracting. For example I hate the right mouse button menu in Dolphin and they have also move Paste into new position which is totally confusing and irritating for me. There are also random hangs when accessing K menu or launching mentioned Dolphin and there were hangs with Kate.
              I never had any odd hangs with Kate or Dolphin...sometimes there was a lag in starting up, but, if we're being honest here, Firefox from Flathub takes consistently longer to open than anything from KDE...technically speaking, replace Firefox with "the first Flatpak program ran" because they have to initialize their backend on the first program ran. Makes me wonder if I can add some startup hook to initialize their backend upon logging in...just would rather push any manageable lag to my login or system start up off of program starting up.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

GNOME is awesome, once you learn how to exploit it. While this applies to a certain extent to KDE as well, KDE in general is a more Windows-95-like environment and thus familiar to people out of the box. It offers more with some heavy configuring first. But still KDE is pretty much familiar and most people know what to expect and how to use it.

GNOME on the other hand, out of the box is very unfamiliar to non-GNOME users and much of its functionality and benefits are hidden. That's the main issue with GNOME Shell, people aren't getting a tutorial on how they are supposed to exploit it to their benefit. They need to start using it exclusively for weeks and months, and attempt to think creative ways to modify it to serve their workflow. Once they do, there is no going back, in my opinion.

GNOME is meant to be used with the keyboard more. While many people wrongly accuse it of being a tablet interface, this is far from the truth. It is more like a hybrid between the traditional DE and something like i3/Sway. The search is fast using the super+a couple of letters, and workspaces are unlimited and easy to access and configure. Who needs a taskbar when you can just use the keyboard?

I just love modern GNOME. I have been using it on Wayland for some time and i can't go back, it is really, really good. KDE on the other hand, is slow, and clunky. Fine if you prefer to keep working like it is still 95, and pretty, but that's about it.
                While I agree with most of what you said, it doesn't change that, OOTB, to me Gnome looks like the love child of an Android Tablet and an iPad.

But once one gets used to how Gnome does things, it really isn't that bad (especially with some plugins).

Comment

Michael

I think I posted too much too fast

and Thanks.
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 12 March 2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

I think this is true. I think Gnome could use a welcome screen like macOS has that introduces some of the elements to people. People say things like, how do I tell what apps are running or how do I switch tasks. (And that is simple, the super key or or mouse gesture to the top left.)

I don't know exactly if it was macOS, iOS, Android or Gnome that really invented all of this type of "floating" desktop metaphor or if they all inspired each other in small areas till they started to resemble each other over time. I think this change started to happen because the amount of applications people had installed and running on there systems became so large that presenting them in lists no longer was optimal. (think of a jump list on a webpage). And presenting running applications as thumbnails of the actual open windows was easier than presenting words and an icon in a taskbar. If you think of a paper document on your desk, and you want another document, it seems clear to look for what that document actually would look like on your physical desk instead of words that say "other document" and an icon representing some brand.

KDE tho it isn't it's default layout it can do a lot of this too and you can configure KDE to work almost exactly like Gnome. Windows 10 really isn't that far off either tho they keep some of the traditional elements. (probably too scared to shock users)
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 13 March 2020, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                      Windows 10 really isn't that far off either tho they keep some of the traditional elements. (probably too scared to shock users)
                      MS did try that. It was the nuclear reactor meltdown called Windows 8.

Calling Windows 8 a dumpster fire gives dumpster fires a bad name.

Comment

Working...
                      X