Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Red Hat's Matthias Clasen had the honor of announcing GNOME 3.36 as the latest half-year update to the GNOME 3 desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm probably going to wait till the first point release. I tried it out with F32 and there seems to be quite a few regressions.

Comment

There were some reports of people in nvidia and wayland with a display on scale 2 not being able to login (or log into a black screen).

Comment

An incredible release. It's crazy how much faster my desktop/notebook have become in the past few months thanks to Gnome/Canonical/everyone's hard work.

Same hardware, nothing has changed, just software getting better and more optimized AND I'M HERE FOR IT!

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          An incredible release. It's crazy how much faster my desktop/notebook have become in the past few months thanks to Gnome/Canonical/everyone's hard work.

Same hardware, nothing has changed, just software getting better and more optimized AND I'M HERE FOR IT!
          Not surprised, GNOME 3's performance has always been garbage, it has been completely unusable in VM's or old Intel-based GFX for example.

Hope it does improve on those case usages and I can stop avoiding it like the plague it has been so far.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
            There were some reports of people in nvidia and wayland with a display on scale 2 not being able to login (or log into a black screen).
            wait ...Wayland has been usable with nvidia before?

Comment

I hope they won't forget about memory consumption also. 1GB on boot just for (lets be honest) lowfunctional fullscreen grid of apps and couple of panels - is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

wait ...Wayland has been usable with nvidia before?
                For some time now.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Not surprised, GNOME 3's performance has always been garbage, it has been completely unusable in VM's or old Intel-based GFX for example.

Hope it does improve on those case usages and I can stop avoiding it like the plague it has been so far.
                  I took a quick gif with Peek to show off the speed. This is on an Haswell 4c/4t, a 7-year old processor with an RX480, and my 2010 MacBook Pro is not thaat much slower than this and uses the nvidia 340 driver.

Comment

Anyone notice any occasional window and background flickering during window transitions and animations with GNOME 3.36 shell, using proprietary Nvidia drivers? I'm on Archlinux using the testing repositories. For instance I see it when I open apps in Lutris or if I just open the native Chromium browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X