Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Released With Latest Wayland Improvements, Parental Controls, New Lock Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael

I think I posted too much too fast

and Thanks.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 03-12-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

GNOME is awesome, once you learn how to exploit it. While this applies to a certain extent to KDE as well, KDE in general is a more Windows-95-like environment and thus familiar to people out of the box. It offers more with some heavy configuring first. But still KDE is pretty much familiar and most people know what to expect and how to use it.

GNOME on the other hand, out of the box is very unfamiliar to non-GNOME users and much of its functionality and benefits are hidden. That's the main issue with GNOME Shell, people aren't getting a tutorial on how they are supposed to exploit it to their benefit. They need to start using it exclusively for weeks and months, and attempt to think creative ways to modify it to serve their workflow. Once they do, there is no going back, in my opinion.

GNOME is meant to be used with the keyboard more. While many people wrongly accuse it of being a tablet interface, this is far from the truth. It is more like a hybrid between the traditional DE and something like i3/Sway. The search is fast using the super+a couple of letters, and workspaces are unlimited and easy to access and configure. Who needs a taskbar when you can just use the keyboard?

I just love modern GNOME. I have been using it on Wayland for some time and i can't go back, it is really, really good. KDE on the other hand, is slow, and clunky. Fine if you prefer to keep working like it is still 95, and pretty, but that's about it.
      I think this is true. I think Gnome could use a welcome screen like macOS has that introduces some of the elements to people. People say things like, how do I tell what apps are running or how do I switch tasks. (And that is simple, the super key or or mouse gesture to the top left.)

I don't know exactly if it was macOS, iOS, Android or Gnome that really invented all of this type of "floating" desktop metaphor or if they all inspired each other in small areas till they started to resemble each other over time. I think this change started to happen because the amount of applications people had installed and running on there systems became so large that presenting them in lists no longer was optimal. (think of a jump list on a webpage). And presenting running applications as thumbnails of the actual open windows was easier than presenting words and an icon in a taskbar. If you think of a paper document on your desk, and you want another document, it seems clear to look for what that document actually would look like on your physical desk instead of words that say "other document" and an icon representing some brand.

KDE tho it isn't it's default layout it can do a lot of this too and you can configure KDE to work almost exactly like Gnome. Windows 10 really isn't that far off either tho they keep some of the traditional elements. (probably too scared to shock users)
      Last edited by k1e0x; 03-13-2020, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Canonical just did something great. They moved their GNOME packaging to Debian \o/
        https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/psa-u...an-salsa/14900
        This is a MASSIVE step forward for all Debian-based distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
          Windows 10 really isn't that far off either tho they keep some of the traditional elements. (probably too scared to shock users)
          MS did try that. It was the nuclear reactor meltdown called Windows 8.

Calling Windows 8 a dumpster fire gives dumpster fires a bad name.

Comment

Working...
          X