Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Set To Be Released Today With Ongoing Wayland + Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36 Set To Be Released Today With Ongoing Wayland + Performance Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36 Set To Be Released Today With Ongoing Wayland + Performance Improvements

GNOME 3.36 is slated to be released today so here is a look back at much of the prominent work being introduced in this six month update to the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what does "dropping Evolution" exactly mean? That it is removed from the favourite apps or that the project is dead and gone?
    I've been using it for 20 years now, and it would be very sad if it is going to die

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Evolution is not dead. It got active development and maintenance. And it will stay like this due to RHEL.

Evolution just doesn’t fit the GNOME vision anymore.
      Thanks for the reply.
      I'm glad it is still maintained because I prefer it alot against geary.

Comment

Evolution is not dead. It got active development and maintenance. And it will stay like this due to RHEL.

Fair enough, but what is the GNOME vision relating to email then? Note that I said email, e.g. IMAP/SMTP, not Exchange, not necessarily Gmail or other web-based (dis)services, with GPG support right front and centre, 100% implemented and functional (not "planned")?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

Thanks for the reply.
          I'm glad it is still maintained because I prefer it alot against geary.

I prefer Gearys interface, but if you want to use Exchange (I have to for work) under Linux, Evolution is the only half decent open-source email client that supports it.

Comment

Rock solid desktop and it's already fast! Fedora 32 beta is wonderful.

Comment

Why? Does it give users too many options to worry their pretty little heads about?

Comment

I've never been able to get Evolution to work with client cert authentication (with self-signed certs) so have always used Thunderbird. If Geary supports client cert auth I'd be interested to have a look. Anyone know?

Comment

Why make GNOME Music the default, while it is clearly not ready to replace Rhythmbox? It crashes all the time for me, it freezes, it hangs, and it clearly can't handle large music collections well.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    Rock solid desktop and it's already fast! Fedora 32 beta is wonderful.
                    Did an rpm-ostree upgrade to it last night myself. Thanks to my trick of manually installing RPMFusion everything went smoothly.

My trick is to create a toolbox, add RPMFusion to that toolbox, then copy/paste /etc/yum.repos.d/**rpmfusion repos** to ~/repos, copy/paste /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/**rpmfusion keys** to ~/keys, exit the toolbox, and then copy/paste that stuff right back to /etc/**where it was from** so it goes to the system folders and not the toolbox overlay.

Boom -- RPMFusion and RPMFusion layered packages survive the rebase. It's a PITA, but it's much better than having to run reverts and whatnot with all the reboots on a Silverblue desktop.

Comment

Working...
                    X