Mozilla Making Progress With Offering Firefox As A Flatpak On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Making Progress With Offering Firefox As A Flatpak On Linux

Phoronix: Mozilla Making Progress With Offering Firefox As A Flatpak On Linux

Mozilla engineers have been making good progress on being able to ship a Flatpak'ed Firefox web browser for better security/sandboxing and easier distribution on Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe there they could finally enable graphics acceleration by default on Linux, when it's more contained.

Comment

Not having to bundle all locales to all users is a problem both Flatpack and Snap have to solve. Downloading and storing several hundred megabytes of languages I can't read for every application isn't a very attractive future unfortunately.

There are a lot of awesome things going for these new packaging formats, but locales is currently one of their ugliest spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
        Not having to bundle all locales to all users is a problem both Flatpack and Snap have to solve. Downloading and storing several hundred megabytes of languages I can't read for every application isn't a very attractive future unfortunately.

There are a lot of awesome things going for these new packaging formats, but locales is currently one of their ugliest spots.
        Flatpak already has a solution to this problem. It splits up locales as extensions for the flatpak. I'm going to guess it's just an issue with the Firefox build process right now.

Install a flatpak off Flathub, change your locale, then run flatpak update, you'll get the locale for it.

Comment

A solution has been created ... Now find and create a problem around it

What a waste of effort and time. No one uses flatpacks anyways. If it's not coming from the distros repository then I wouldn't want to install it anyways.

Has the 600mb of Linux inside Linux been solved ? I speak about the extra Linux that has to be downloaded inside your existing Linux system to get the flatpack binaries to operate ?

Comment

To save y'all some effort:

Code:
            flatpak install --user https://flathub.org/beta-repo/appstream/org.mozilla.firefox.flatpakref
            And it worked good enough to sync all my plugins, play a video on Hulu, and post this from my F31 SB Gnome 3.34 Wayland desktop.

Comment

Snap vs Flatpak flamewars in 3, 2, 1...

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                Snap vs Flatpak flamewars in 3, 2, 1...
                Appimage is the shiznit.

Comment

Number one problem and critical blocker for me, flatpak doesn't, and currently can't support, web browser 2FA for USB devices like Yubikeys and other U2F devices unless something changed very recently.

Comment

Useful if you want an "universal way" to migrate profiles between distros or getting latest version of Firefox if native package manager is slow or EoL.

Not sure if I trust flatpak apps with my banking info just yet though.

Comment

Working...
                    X