KDE Developers Fixed Many Bugs This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
    This is more of a general Linux issue and not a bug but more of a usabiliy thing.
    What annoys me is that password prompt windows are not always in foreground and other windows can put them out of focus.

So what can happen:
    You need to type in your admin password to grant permission to sth and then another window opens.
    So either your passwort window will be out of focus and you just dont continue typing or even worse ...
    the opened window contains some search bar and you continue to type your passwort there and press enter!
    What you are looking for is "Focus stealing prevention". You'll find it in the "Window Behavior" system settings module (just type "focus" into the menu's search). This is actually an ancient feature and I'm sure other window managers provide it, too.

Comment

I agree with Morbis55 . It's not just about "focus stealing prevention" since increasing this policy can lead in breaking other windows like pop-ups and stuff that you might want to see. I actually like how gnome asks for password input, where it shades all windows at all monitors and you can only type the password or cancel the dialog before you do anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
        This is more of a general Linux issue and not a bug but more of a usabiliy thing.
        What annoys me is that password prompt windows are not always in foreground and other windows can put them out of focus.

So what can happen:
        You need to type in your admin password to grant permission to sth and then another window opens.
        So either your passwort window will be out of focus and you just dont continue typing or even worse ...
        the opened window contains some search bar and you continue to type your passwort there and press enter!

Just my opinion but password prompt windows should always have a main priority over other windows.
        It does not happen that often, but when it does it is annoying and can even be a security issue (type password in wrong window)
        I rarely have problems with typing my password in unexpected places, but I find most annoying is when the dialog pops under with no indication that it did. It makes it look like the program stopped responding.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
          I agree with Morbis55 . It's not just about "focus stealing prevention" since increasing this policy can lead in breaking other windows like pop-ups and stuff that you might want to see. I actually like how gnome asks for password input, where it shades all windows at all monitors and you can only type the password or cancel the dialog before you do anything else.
          I'm not sure how it does the visuals, but I imagine the typing protection would be accomplished using the mechanism that I believe screen lockers use: The XGrabKeyboard function, which allows a window to temporarily take an exclusive grab on all Keyboard input.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
            KDE is really wonderful. However it annoys me that I have to give a password to sign on to wifi's I use every day. And why to applications for KWallet,. Can it please be simplified and more intuitive.
            You can disable Kwallet and not be bothered with it again.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
              KDE is really wonderful. However it annoys me that I have to give a password to sign on to wifi's I use every day. And why to applications for KWallet,. Can it please be simplified and more intuitive.
              That's more NetworkManager thing I think, it tries to protect your wifi password by delegating authentication to KWallet or gnome-keyring.
              Make this wifi connection (in NM gui) available to all users instead.
              If that is not enough, in NetworkManager config, switch from using if-up scripts plugin to file plugin. Then your wifi password will be stored in plain text file in etc/network manager/system-connections and KDE (or any other DE) will not bother you anymore about password.
              Last edited by reavertm; 09 March 2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X