GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.36 Released Following Last Minute Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmare View Post

Regarding the I/O optimizations, are you referring to this MR?
    These fix a number of issues that were causing I/O blockages on the main thread making the shell stall during heavy I/O workloads. With them applied,...

I'm asking as I really hope it's going to get merged, but at the moment it doesn't look like it has yet.

BTW, thank you for reporting about F32, it's definitely what I'm personally looking forward to
    !1052 is just a backport to 3.28, which is used by RHEL 7 and Ubuntu 18.04. It doesn't really matter if it gets merged or not, as there wont be any further releases for that branch and the distros need to cherry pick the commits any way (I guess both already ship with a bunch of fixes on top of the upstream 3.28 branch).

But yes, I'm referring to the corresponding changes on the master branch, which all can be found in 3.36

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

!1052 is just a backport to 3.28, which is used by RHEL 7 and Ubuntu 18.04. It doesn't really matter if it gets merged or not, as there wont be any further releases for that branch and the distros need to cherry pick the commits any way (I guess both already ship with a bunch of fixes on top of the upstream 3.28 branch).

But yes, I'm referring to the corresponding changes on the master branch, which all can be found in 3.36
      Thank you so much, I didn't realize it was just the backport for 3.28! It makes much more sense now, and happy to know that it will actually work better under I/O pressure.

Comment

For those of you running Arch Linux, GNOME 3.36 has been released into the "stable" repository. However, I ran into a bug as described in my tweet:

For what it's worth, I think it's more of a DPI scaling bug, as I only have one monitor and an NVIDIA GTX 960. I don't know if the bug affects AMD or Intel graphics. I know everyone in the Arch Linux community who runs a GNOME desktop must be very excited for trying out GNOME 3.36, but I would like to advise anyone upgrading to the latest version, so do hold off on using "pacman -Syu" to upgrade your system.

I will have to do some video editing in my desktop to stitch my videos together before I file a bug in the GitLab Mutter repository.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          For those of you running Arch Linux, GNOME 3.36 has been released into the "stable" repository.
          Arch devs inventing time travel (seeing that the GNOME 3.36.0 release is actually due on March 11)..

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Arch devs inventing time travel (seeing that the GNOME 3.36.0 release is actually due on March 11)..
            Yeah, there is some heavy, heavy development left to do before 3.36.0 is ready for release. /s

Comment

Lets hope that we will be able to test newer version testing packages in ubuntu 20.20 in comming weeks
              I am testing 3.35.91 from 2020-02-28 09:53
              on ARM device (odroid C2) and I don't see mouse cursor
              so I am looking forward for fixed version

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                Too bad there's no way to get it for Fedora 31 or Ubuntu 19.10. If Fedora 32 is stable I'll probably give it a try.
                Funny thing, I prefer the OOTB experience of Gnome 3.35.91+Fedora 32 10x better than 3.34+Fedora 31 (Silverblue versions). Only reason I'm on 31 is the current plugin support on 3.36 is abysmal. Gnome, IMHO, needs a few plugins so it's more convenient and less piss-me-off-ish. I'd be on the newer version if it weren't for that.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
                  Lets hope that we will be able to test newer version testing packages in ubuntu 20.20 in comming weeks
                  I am testing 3.35.91 from 2020-02-28 09:53
                  on ARM device (odroid C2) and I don't see mouse cursor
                  so I am looking forward for fixed version
                  I know I'm happy when the mouse disappears

(I think you clicked the wrong smiley)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Funny thing, I prefer the OOTB experience of Gnome 3.35.91+Fedora 32 10x better than 3.34+Fedora 31 (Silverblue versions). Only reason I'm on 31 is the current plugin support on 3.36 is abysmal. Gnome, IMHO, needs a few plugins so it's more convenient and less piss-me-off-ish. I'd be on the newer version if it weren't for that.
                    Well, I didn't like Gnome at all in the past (even Gnome 2), but now I'm using Gnome 3 without add-ons and I love it. I'm happy, because it's main Fedora desktop and Fedora 32 is wonderful OS. It's so much better than Windows 10 and much less problematic (no problems at all, except Firefox doesn't remember it was maximized). I switched to Windows 10 from Windows 7 yesterday and I would never expect it will be so painful. It didn't want to install, so I had to entirely erase one of the disks, it didn't have sound in games, it's sloow, it reboots dozens of times during upgrades, it's totally inconsistent. Yes, Linux made it.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      skeevy420 Just wait a few weeks. Extension maintainers need some time to update. This will likely happen around Ubuntu and Fedora beta releases.
                      I know. That plugin lag is my biggest issue with Gnome vs Plasma.

Though, in reality, if one has actually used Discover or the KDE site...a lot of that stuff is out of date and might not work with newer Plasma versions, a lot of it has external install instructions and dependencies, and other little issues here and there.

The difference is that, to me, the KDE plugins are more in the optional category and on Gnome they're in the required category.

3.36...or the 3.35.91 that F32 had the other day...is pretty nice OOTB and I didn't feel the need for near as many plugins on it. That could be because they included Gnome Tweaks in SB32 but not SB31. But the other part was that new extension tool does a lot to make the system feel more cohesive.

Comment

Working...
                      X