Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.36 Released Following Last Minute Fixes

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.36 Released Following Last Minute Fixes

In preparing for the GNOME 3.36 stable release due out on 11 March, GNOME Shell and Mutter issued their final v3.36.0 releases on Saturday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME Shell dates to be off by 1900 years
    I do have to say that is quite a last minute fix. I can only imagine the conversation:

QA: Hey we seem to have a bug it says the year is 120?

Developer: Quae est difficultas?

Comment

Originally posted by WizardGed View Post

I do have to say that is quite a last minute fix. I can only imagine the conversation:

GNOME team discovering time travel

Comment

Originally posted by WizardGed View Post

Just laughed my ... off. But shouldn't it be 'estne'?

Comment

Just switched to Fedora 32 and the combination of all the improvements seem to have made quite a difference concerning resource usage: the fan of my machine mostly doesn't spin up any more when doing lightweight office stuff and there are way less situation where I can perceive frame drops (e.g. when opening the GS overview). Finally, the IO optimizations seem to pay of quite a bit: I do not see any multiple frame stuttering any more when compiling Firefox - the shell keeps responsive even under hight load.

So overall this appears to be a great step for the Shell to get out of the way and simply doing it's job in a efficient way.

Comment

I really like GNOME (after installing the extensions Dash-to-panel and ArcMenu). It feels very polished.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              More micro releases are expected from Redhat
              More micro releases are expected from Red Hat.

Redhat also plans to backport some fixes to old, officially unsupported versions.
              Red Hat also plans to backport some fixes to old, officially unsupported versions.

There, fixed it for yah

Comment

Too bad there's no way to get it for Fedora 31 or Ubuntu 19.10. If Fedora 32 is stable I'll probably give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I really like GNOME (after installing the extensions Dash-to-panel and ArcMenu). It feels very polished.
                  Let me recommend a couple more also, mostly optional, but I find improves usability:

Clipboard Indicator
                  Alt-Tab Switcher Delay Removal (removes a noticeably delay when hitting alt+tab or super+tab)
                  Sound input & output device chooser (quickly change from the top right bar)
                  Toggle mute on middle click (helpful for desktops, middle clicking Volume icon on top right will toggle mute)

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                    Just switched to Fedora 32 and the combination of all the improvements seem to have made quite a difference concerning resource usage: the fan of my machine mostly doesn't spin up any more when doing lightweight office stuff and there are way less situation where I can perceive frame drops (e.g. when opening the GS overview). Finally, the IO optimizations seem to pay of quite a bit: I do not see any multiple frame stuttering any more when compiling Firefox - the shell keeps responsive even under hight load.

So overall this appears to be a great step for the Shell to get out of the way and simply doing it's job in a efficient way.
                    Regarding the I/O optimizations, are you referring to this MR?
                    These fix a number of issues that were causing I/O blockages on the main thread making the shell stall during heavy I/O workloads. With them applied,...

I'm asking as I really hope it's going to get merged, but at the moment it doesn't look like it has yet.

BTW, thank you for reporting about F32, it's definitely what I'm personally looking forward to

Comment

Working...
                    X