No announcement yet.

Firefox 75 On Wayland Now To Have Full WebGL, Working VA-API Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Nvidia driver support on Wayland?
    Last edited by Azrael5; 05 March 2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sadly, as much as this hurts them I have to accept that Wayland is not a complete solution.

Over 44 people can't understand that and still think Wayland is the future.
      It may be, but it has lots of flaws...

Yeah, sure, X11 may be ancient and has its defects too, but at least it's usable for a desktop and compatible with everything.
      Of course Wayland is the future. This is not decided by me, or you, or birdie (regardless of how much he wants to boast his 1.5 kernel bug reports), but solely by people putting in actual work. Or money, in form of hiring the former and telling them what to do.

It may not yet be a complete solution. But it is the future. Over 1 people can't understand that those are not contradictory
      Last edited by intelfx; 05 March 2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        What about Nvidia driver support about Wayland?
        Nvidia still does not support GBM. Their allocator library that was supposed to unify GBM and EGLStreams has not seen any development activity in almost two years, now that KDE, Gnome, and XWayland all support EGLStreams to some degree.

Comment

• You're reading this thread and getting the impression that X.org barely works, is buggy as hell and has tons of issues, while Wayland is perfect and covers everything.

Oh, wait, it's the other way around.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
            You're reading this thread and getting the impression that Wayland barely works, is buggy as hell and has tons of issues, while it's really KDE's implementation of it that sucks.

Oh, wait, I shouldn't even comment on stuff that I don't have any insight in and should rather create some KDE bug reports.
            Fixed that for you.

Comment

• Meh, widget.wayland-dmabuf-webgl.enabled just crashes the tab straightaway on any va-api/webgl content on amdgpu.

Comment

• Originally posted by arokh View Post

Fixed that for you.
                Either you're retarded, or Linux has more than one DE. And so far Gnome is the only semi-usable DE for Wayland - some features still require alpha-quality software like PipeWire. Looks like Wayland fan-atics are even worse than Open Source fanatics.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  You're reading this thread and getting the impression that X.org barely works, is buggy as hell and has tons of issues,
                  That's exactly my feelings about xorg.

I won't say wayland is perfect or that it didn't introduce some new issues, because it did. But I would state that many longstanding issues of any graphical *nix usage get adressed now, and there is a good chance to finally get rid of those. And I feel that many of the issues that wayland introduced already got cured. For my set of workpatterns (heavy browser usage, a lot of ssh sessions, coding and scripting), wayland surpassed xorg a short while ago.

And because this will be said: I did influence some points of my setup to take advantage of the new stuff, like getting all nvidia cards dumped and just buying AMD (desktops)/Intel (notebooks). Me and our team at work also happen to like the gnome3 workflow pretty much, which seems a good place to be nowadays.

And because it will be said: Yeah, I lost x11 network transparency foobar, but I was never able to see that as a serious feature. If your link was just slightly bandwidth limited, or had some slight latency, tunneling X11 is just plain slow and ugly. I always used things like freenx/X2go, RDP and VNC if I wanted to do more than 5 clicks. That's the same for many other old features of X11, for my mind these aren't honestly dependable or useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

--snip--

And because it will be said: Yeah, I lost x11 network transparency foobar, but I was never able to see that as a serious feature. If your link was just slightly bandwidth limited, or had some slight latency, tunneling X11 is just plain slow and ugly. I always used things like freenx/X2go, RDP and VNC if I wanted to do more than 5 clicks. That's the same for many other old features of X11, for my mind these aren't honestly dependable or useful.
                    So true. X11 passthrough runs like crap compared to any serious VNC-like solution. As long as toolkits draw everything themselves on CPU or even GPU (which is to say, the reality we live in and will live in for the foreseeable future), graphical networking won't ever be something else than a fancy video streaming solution. And as far as streaming solutions go, native X11 forwarding was one of the worst around.

Comment

• Your feelings towards Xorg? What about facts? What barely works for you in X.org? What is extremely buggy? What about a ton of issues? God, you're lying through your teeth so hard it's actually amusing. Just a single thing please. And what about all those things which do not work in Wayland right effing now? You bought new HW just to be able to run Wayland? OMG, fanaticism is strong with you.

RDP for Linux? A joke is on you: RDP was designed to work with proper GDI/Direct2D environments (where it truly shines), not send full bitmaps all the time. I know how RDP for X11 works under Linux - it's horrible and laughable. Likewise VNC which, if you're lucky, can be loaded as an X.org module but if you aren't, it's slow and inefficient as hell. ssh -X flies in comparison and miles better than VNC and RDP combined because it actually understands what and how is being painted on the screen instead of sending full desktop snapshots all the time.

It's all especially pathetic given that I'm sure as hell you've spent literally hundreds of man hours and hundreds of hard dollars just to be able to run Linux semi-efficiently while you could have bought a Windows 10 license for $15 on Ebay and get a perfect experience out of the box. People are amusing. You need a Linux development environment? Discover WSL: everything is available out of the box with 100% compatibility. Apache, PHP, MySQL what gives you. Or Python, RoR, Rust, Go if you're trendy.

Comment

Working...
                      X