Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    Need to replace my gpu for an ATI asap.
    Perhaps you should try AMD instead as you'll get a more modern GPU, ATI ceased being ATI in 2006 with the brand being canned in 2010 in favour of AMD.

Comment

That's only H.264! No accelrated Youtube sorry, we need VP9 support.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

You're confusing so many things here.

1) They're KDE Wayland bugs, they don't exist in Sway, GNOME etc.
        2) Right, and X crashing won't bring down GUI apps either?
        3) Remote desktop is working fine here.
        4) Windows is not comparable. It has a display system where it's normal that applications could loose access to the compositor (graphics driver updates etc), and applications don't usually talk it directly. Additionally, on newer versions of Windows it shouldn't be possible to run without dwm without crashing.
        your wayland is special!! can you play fps games too?

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
          That's only H.264! No accelrated Youtube sorry, we need VP9 support.
          if you use the addon h264ify, then should be ok, right?

Comment

I'm sure VP9 decode support will follow soon. H.264 is simply the most widely supported codec, so that is what was targetted first.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

X11 is pretty much in maintenance mode already. Don't expect developers to invest much in it any more - it's just painful and the faster users switch to Wayland, the better.
              Where can I read that Xorg is in maintenance mode? This is their site: https://www.x.org .

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                1. KDE has major troubles working around Wayland which speaks volumes about Wayland APIs. It's not like KDE devs are stupid.
                All major DEs had major troubles working around X11 issues for a long time - which is why they switch to Wayland. And yes, the KDE devs don't want to stick to X11 either.

2. X.org has maybe crashed on me three times in my entire life. KWin and other window managers crash far too often and the system lives on. In Wayland a WM and a graphical subsystem are the same entity. That's absolutely wrong. Neither Windows, nor X.org was designed this way. How do you go about replacing your DM/WM in Wayland on the fly? Not possible at all?
                Xorg has a huge, in big parts unmaintained code base with all kinds of legacy stuff that can't be dropped. Secondly, Wayland does not require the display server and the WM to be the same process - it would just be a lot of work to separate them and the devs have other priorities atm. See https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/W...ll/GnomeShell4 for example.

3. Using experimental Pipewire? How fast does it work in comparison to ssh -X/RDP? Can you watch videos over poor connections? Can you pass-through OpenGL/any sort of HW acceleration? No, nothing? Oh, crap. Wayland works with raw rectangles made of pixels. It cannot even say which parts of an application need updates to be sent over the net and which don't. Each active application window needs to be encoded in its entirety and sent. Wow, such an utter crap.
                I think you are very badly informed here. Wayland simply doesn't specify all of this and it all can well be implemented. And OpenGL over the wire with X11 - you know that that is limited to Ogl 1.4 and barely used anywhere, do you?

4. Windows is always not comparable, only it offers vector very efficient GUI + video streams pass-through + Direct3D pass-through + audio compression and other perks. It was designed way before Microsoft even thought of remote desktopping yet they made it near perfect. Wayland designers perfectly got all the knowledge of the real world requirements and designed the protocol which is 100% ill-unsuitable for remote desktopping.
                Did you read things like https://feaneron.com/2020/02/24/even...me-on-wayland/ ?

5. Wayland requires GUI APIs to handle raw output, scaling and font rendering and antialiasing as it does nothing itself. Let's say you have three applications running using three different APIs (Qt, Enlightenment, Gnome). Let's say the user wants to upscale all three or change font antialiasing for all of three. Wow, we have some crazy crap going on here as each GUI API has to independently implement these features instead of relying on one common API which does everything for them, e.g. Win32 or xlib (though honestly Xlib has long been abandoned and Xorg works in many ways close to Wayland nowadays since it wasn't designed to handle modern GUIs).
                Yes, Wayland is designed to not handle certain things - because in X11 it turned out that it's probably the wrong place to do so. But you gave the answer here yourself.

Wayland is great, isn't it? And this crap will forever require XWayland which is just nice.
                He? Why would it? XWayland just helps to make the switch more easier. That is like saying that Linux will forever need Wine.

And XWayland applications cannot even properly interact with native Wayland apps. Tons of useful X.org utilities outright don't work under Wayland in any shape or form.
                Yes, because they only work in a "do what you want" environment.

Yeah, I'm trolling hard.
                Do you ever thought about why most Xorg developers and most DE developers want to switch to Wayland? Did you ever consider they are better informed about the topic then you?

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                Where can I read that Xorg is in maintenance mode? This is their site: https://www.x.org .
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Don't know how much it's related, but you know what also doesn't help?: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1561359 I mean, come on! It's been out since LAST JULY FFS!

Comment

Nope, I was wrong. Redid the test and it is not working on X. Chomium with the patch is working fine tought.
                    Last edited by M@GOid; 03 March 2020, 01:49 PM. Reason: I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!11!

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                      your wayland is special!! can you play fps games too?
                      Experimental but yes

Comment

Working...
                      X