• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Code:
    ls -la patch-5.5.7
    -rw-rw-r--. 1 root root 1731847 Mar 3 17:33 patch-5.5.7
    A 2MB fix for issues in kernel 5.5. Isn't that a bit insane?
    downloading patches as root and manually patching your kernel is insane indeed
    Do you want X.org to be equally unstable?
    yes. i want x.org to have equally tiny amount of glaring holes

Comment

This thread is one of those, isn't it...

The great thing about free software is that the peanut gallery will be able to run X well into 2050, if they so desire. Somehow. Who knows. I just want the shiny new thing to work. Wayland is smoother, it is lighter on resources, and it does make sense. It is all around better. Gnome works great for me! So it sucks even more that KWin is taking a long time to get the basics right.

Maybe the main problem with Wayland is that every compositor wants to implement the entirety of the spec by themselves, manage memory management and surface creation/sharing, and a lot of other complicated things. Why not have a library that does these things for everyone, in a standardized, proven way? Why not wlroots for everyone? There would be a single point for optimizations and fixes in the hot codepath, for us all. This is something I don't get about the situation. I love Plasma but KDE on Wayland is an unbelievable pain, after all this time.

I need fractional scaling to work smoothly (1080p on 14"), I need my monitor setups to not break for no reason. I want to be productive. And I want hardware video decoding on Firefox too. It is now both a great time and also a really crappy time to be a KDE user. Plasma is better than ever, but on Wayland it just stumbles and falls on its face.

Comment

3. Using experimental Pipewire? How fast does it work in comparison to ssh -X/RDP?
        rdp over wayland works exactly as rdp over x11. ssh -X works much worse than rdp because it also streams images, but with stupid lag on top
        Can you watch videos over poor connections?
        yes, try youtube. see, no x11 involved
        Can you pass-through OpenGL/any sort of HW acceleration? No, nothing? Oh, crap. Wayland works with raw rectangles made of pixels.
        just like any modern x11
        It cannot even say which parts of an application need updates to be sent over the net and which don't.
        in this same thread people are discussing how such optimization in gnome has broken firefox. you don't even read threads in which you troll
        4. Windows is always not comparable, only it offers vector very efficient GUI + video streams pass-through + Direct3D pass-through + audio compression and other perks. It was designed way before Microsoft even thought of remote desktopping yet they made it near perfect. Wayland designers perfectly got all the knowledge of the real world requirements and designed the protocol which is 100% ill-unsuitable for remote desktopping.
        wayland designers live outside of you imaginary world and they know that all remote desktopping in real world is done with separate apps(most often web browsers), not with x11
        5. Wayland requires GUI APIs to handle raw output, scaling and font rendering and antialiasing as it does nothing itself. Let's say you have three applications running using three different APIs (Qt, Enlightenment, Gnome). Let's say the user wants to upscale all three or change font antialiasing for all of three. Wow, we have some crazy crap going on here as each GUI API has to independently implement these features instead of relying on one common API which does everything for them, e.g. Win32 or xlib (though honestly Xlib has long been abandoned and Xorg works in many ways close to Wayland nowadays since it wasn't designed to handle modern GUIs).
        how could sane person come to such moronic conclusion? just like apps can use same win32 library or same x library, they can use same antialiasing library or same opengl library. if they chose different antialiasing libraries, you can blame them just as you can blame apps when one decided to use win32 and other decided to use xlib

Comment

Sorry I don't hear you over the sounds of Gnome is so cool it already implements everything. Wayland, despite being over 10 years old, doesn't provide any useful APIs for creating a rich DE which is why each DE must invent the wheel for the things which are available in X.org out the box.
          rich des are created with opengl or vulkan apis. they are not available in x11 out of the box, don't lie. and btw, x11 apps also had to invent the wheel for the things which are available in x11 like fonts or drawing. which is like the whole point of ditching x11.
          I.e. if you don't like Gnome or if you're an NVIDIA user, you're shit of out luck.
          lol, common pattern of self-inflicted pain. you are lacking something else besides luck.
          IThat means IceWM, XFCE, failsafe DE, almost a dozen of other DEs for Linux are all ... dead in the water.
          you have two choices: fix you dm on wayland or maintain xorg. but of course whining on forums is much more fun
          Open Source is desperately lacking developers and instead of helping them, yeah, let's create a brand new graphics server which is unusable by itself. I mean in X.org you can run xdm/twm/xterm with all the required features working out of the box: clipboard: works, VNC: works, global shortcuts: work, window management and switching between applications: work. Under Wayland go write a compositor and a ton of hacks just to make everything work.What a nice proposition. Yeah, totally convincing.
          do i hear sound of you rushing to maintain xorg?
          Year, your arguments are strong, I meant practically invalid if the user for some reasons doesn't like Gnome.
          I for one hate this DE and last used it in 2000 (that's not a mistake).
          nobody cares about idiots, you are on your own

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
            So, it isn't written anywhere that xorg is in maintenance mode
            it is. in bold blinking letters all over this page https://www.x.org/wiki/News/

Comment

Why didn't they start with supporting X.org? I couldn't care less about Wayland which is still largely a tech demo.
              A red hat employee has been working on this. He's only interested in the wayland implementation, but if anyone wants to work on implementing for xorg they are free to: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1619523

He's even offered to mentor anyone willing to do the work.

as an aside, as long as you're not using nvidia, wayland is perfectly usable. I use gnome wayland every day on my intel laptop and have no desire to go back to xorg

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                That's only H.264! No accelrated Youtube sorry, we need VP9 support.
                it will come: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1619258

in the meantime you can use the h264ify extension

Comment

Originally posted by cmakeshift View Post

Maybe the main problem with Wayland is that every compositor wants to implement the entirety of the spec by themselves, manage memory management and surface creation/sharing, and a lot of other complicated things. Why not have a library that does these things for everyone, in a standardized, proven way? Why not wlroots for everyone? There would be a single point for optimizations and fixes in the hot codepath, for us all.
                  Disclaimer: I don't know enough about graphics/compositor/display-server stacks/protocols nor do I keep tabs on all the projects to understand their decision making.

This is something I'd been thinking about as well. I don't think projects like GNOME or KDE would go for something like this, just because they are big enough to do so and tend to have opinionated choices on what happens in their ecosystems. However, I don't expect someone writing a desktop environment to choose Mutter or KWin as they seem specific to the needs of their respective owners. It would be interesting to see the DE/WM community focus on projects like wlroots to use as the foundation of future compositors or use Mir as the compositor+library combo like MATE is doing.

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

I'm running into lots of issues trying to get this to work well. Saw a lot of followup issues in Bugzilla also...

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      it is. in bold blinking letters all over this page https://www.x.org/wiki/News/
                      T(h)rolling bring nothing good to everyone. Stop imaginating, start thinking.

Comment

Working...
                      X