Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell To Ship New App For Managing Extensions

Phoronix: GNOME Shell To Ship New App For Managing Extensions

GNOME 3.36 will begin shipping a new application as part of the GNOME Shell to manage desktop extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is now the primary way for users to manage extensions. It supports globally disabling extensions, uninstalling and updating user extensions, and toggling individual extensions on or off.
    Is there a GNOME dev discussion around this topic I can go through? Reading the brief note on this, it's almost exactly like the extensions part of GNOME Tweaks. Though I like the touch of being able to update without needing to open a browser, and adding removal directly into it.

This seems to still require the use of the browser extension and extensions.gnome.org in order to install anything (unless you manually install the extension yourself). Did they add back the option to install extensions from tarballs right in the UI? I'm a bit confused by this change.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mroche; 02 March 2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

144Hz I never use GNOME Software, so until a few minutes ago I didn't realize extensions were accessible through it. I only use a handful of extensions on my system, two from the extension site, and the rest are all bundled in RHEL repos.

There will be no extension installation in the Extensions app - they must be installed from extensions.gnome.org
      I feel like this is a missed opportunity but that's a personal preference.

Cheers,
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        I don’t use any extensions
        Highly unlikely as GNOME desktop w/o extensions is almost useless.

Comment

I can understand what they’re doing, but as a web person, the duplication is odd. Why not just have Gnome Software pull extensions from the site? You could have extension management built-in while being accessed through a tab in Gnome Software, and then even source user reviews all from the same place.

I think the distro software model going to be a challenge moving forward. Rolling release with rigorous testing makes more sense imo. It seems like it costs more effort, but imagine not having to maintain old versions or backport security patches.

Maybe rolling + LTS releases for servers.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
            Highly unlikely as GNOME desktop w/o extensions is almost useless.
            I use GNOME Shell without extensions and find it more useful than KDE and Windows.

Comment

Will Gnome 3.36 get into Fedora 31?

Comment

Anyone have any idea why this isn't integrated into settings?

Comment

I hope it ends up being better than Discover.

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
                    Anyone have any idea why this isn't integrated into settings?
                    I think because if it's in settings that means it has to be officially supported and QA'd.

Extensions are always gonna be a "here be dragons" kind of situation, similar to GTK themes.

Comment

Working...
                    X