Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    If you really want it, here it comes...
    I will refer to it whenever someone asks me, so it's worth the effort.

Unity workflow

- Dash to Dock I actually deactivated the shell itself, I have no use for it. I don't want a hot corner, or a clickable logo in a corner as a first step. It's tedious to reach, while dash to dock is already right there with less mouse movement involved, and visible at all times (except when dodged). I also know which apps are open and how many instances. I don't want to use the keyboard either for frequent stuff. I can scroll on the app icon to switch windows (Nautilus and Firefox are good use cases), and click to minimize. This is much closer to the Unity behaviour that is the best fitted to my workflow.
    And the less frequent apps I start via Ulauncher or in rare cases via the "Show applications" of the dock.
    - User Themes Otherwise no customization, no Arc Dark/er+Papirus icons. Should give Yaru a chance though. On vanilla Gnome Adwaita is an absolute no go for me (looks like 1995)
    - Unite It looks better to me if you don't get 2 adjacent similar bars doing basically the same thing. And on a laptop, the vertical space won is precious.
    - Frippery move clock Due to Unite extension, when in the middle the clock gets in the way (really annoying) to drag and drop windows to reduce their size. Also window titles can be cut because of it.
    - Panel OSD Gnome Notifications were popping up over stuff I use, and it got in my way. I had to change where they appear. This could be configured in Unity.
    - Mpris indicator button I don't need to change window focus to know which song is playing or back/forward/stop/start it. Much more convenient for me than in my notifications!

All these were part of Unity

Must haves

- GS Connect My phone and tablet are next to the couch, the keyboard+mouse are further in front of it. I use KDE Connect to control SMPlayer, it's very convenient. Also, to see whatsapp messages and or transfer files from the main computer (HTPC). Hell, sometimes when I'm super lazy it even allows me to use my phone as a keyboard.
    - Suspend button I suspend 2 computers several times a day (current uptime 38 days). So it's just faster. And on a laptop it doesn't work with the shutdown/reboot long press (for suspend to appear) on the touchpad. So it's much much more convenient as I never use physical button clicks.
    - Sound input and output device chooser I use an AVR and Pulseaudio used to have issues with it, I can change and test the sound input faster
    - Keep Awake! Gnome is really buggy. You can deactivate the lock screen in dconf as much as you want, after 20 minutes idle, it'll lock the screen anyhow. Bothering the hell out of me. This extension prevents it from happening. Or I use Caffeine extension for the same purpose.

Nice to have

- Openweather Instead of a widget you can't see when a Window is over.
    - Onboard Indicator Same as GS Connect, sometimes the keyboard is too much of a stretch to reach from the couch (i.e. if the cat is on my lap) but I can use the mouse for quick stuff.
    - Top Icon Plus No more tray = Some indicators are not visible anymore
    - Ubuntu appindicators Roughly the same as Top Icon Plus
    - Syspeek CPU load is visible, unlike with System Monitor (that needs to be launched)

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Those are mine:
    1. Dash to Panel is way more superior than Dash to Dock; You can enable separate behaviors for each monitors and I have a second monitor connected to the laptop.
    2. Shell Tile; this super cool extension can tile all your windows just holding ctrl, it is such cool and useful!
    3. Arc Menu; this is the menu.
    4. System Monitor; I found it pretty innovative and original rather than the usual progressive bars.
    5. Multi monitors add-on; last but not least the multi monitors support that makes working everything on both monitors properly.
    I would like to use more but the interaction among them often is awful...
    Thank you guys for sharing. I have no itch to scratch at the moment but will check these again if I ever have one!

Comment

Working...
    X