Clear All

• cjcox
    replied
    Thanks... I'll give nast a try.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by cjcox View Post
    I replaced my "neighborhood" with something nmap based.
    Also, as they wrote in https://serverfault.com/questions/63...g/63242#63242:
    `nast -m` probes all hosts on your network using ARP protocol, so it is quite accurate and FW-aware.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    No offense, but I'm going to stand by my original assessment of WS-DISCOVERY. Nothing in the link says "you should use this". In fact it pretty much says "i wouldn't use this if I were you". SMBv1 deprecation has been know for a long time, however, M$'s disdain for WS-DISCOVERY was more of a surprise to me. I say "use it" knowing that "you could lose it. (too)"

Microsoft's quote on WS-DISCOVERY:
    We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.

I'm not seeing disdain, they are just saying this feature is slow as fuck even on a small network (192.168.X.0-255) and any administrator worthy of the name should map the devices directly or use a better way, especially in a domain environment.

Consumers that buy a printer or a NAS have a Windows application that does the "administrator" job for them by finding and connecting to the device.

It's not deprecated, but there are much better alternatives and they make no secret of it.

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    Originally posted by mcloud View Post

Seems to be the opposite, SMBv1 got deprecated in favour of WS-DISCOVERY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ult-in-windows
    No offense, but I'm going to stand by my original assessment of WS-DISCOVERY. Nothing in the link says "you should use this". In fact it pretty much says "i wouldn't use this if I were you". SMBv1 deprecation has been know for a long time, however, M$'s disdain for WS-DISCOVERY was more of a surprise to me. I say "use it" knowing that "you could lose it. (too)"

Microsoft's quote on WS-DISCOVERY:
    We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.

Leave a comment:

• mcloud
    replied
    I thought WS-DISCOVERY wasn't "on" by default for Windows. Anyone? Also thought that Microsoft was saying it was deprecating that as well.
    Seems to be the opposite, SMBv1 got deprecated in favour of WS-DISCOVERY

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    I thought WS-DISCOVERY wasn't "on" by default for Windows. Anyone? Also thought that Microsoft was saying it was deprecating that as well.

I replaced my "neighborhood" with something nmap based.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    What a fantastic week, first the screen rotation got fixed on Wayland and now Krunner is appearing on top of a top panel :-) Great work!!!
    Last edited by R41N3R; 01 March 2020, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Termy
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well, that is the BLOB downside, it may work with some versions and not others and some may even have bugs, so you have to wait until nVidia give enough of a fuck to actually battle test it or add it to its regular QA
    And even then xwayland won't work with the blob - so most gaming is out of reach. And if gaming is not the goal, then nouveau would be the better idea anyways ^^

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Is KDE Wayland now working with native NVIDIA drivers? GNOME supposed to, but it didn't work there either.
    Well, that is the BLOB downside, it may work with some versions and not others and some may even have bugs, so you have to wait until nVidia give enough of a fuck to actually battle test it or add it to its regular QA

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Is KDE Wayland now working with native NVIDIA drivers? GNOME supposed to, but it didn't work there either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X