X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veto
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    The hate is rightful, they always reinvent the wheel and always end up with sub-optimal half-ass solutions that they eventually drop.
    Sure. Hate is certainly a rational and proportional reaction to people following their own beliefs - whether they fail or succeed doing so

One ting Ubuntu people have going for them is their feisty, daring and positive attitude, even in the face of all all the hate they meet along the way. Some people here could really take a clue from them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The hate is rightful, they always reinvent the wheel and always end up with sub-optimal half-ass solutions that they eventually drop.
    Is hate rightful? Did they harm you/them/haters?

It's quite a disappointing for sure, that Canonical decided to create another solution (ending to be sub-optimal), instead of helping existing GNOME 3, which would be win-win-win for Canonical/gnome/users. GNOME 3 would have more resources for development, Canonical/Ubuntu would have supported (by others) and established DE, and users would benefit from better support too. However, In the end, they went with GNOME 3 and some custom modifications,... Though, I don't know much of history, maybe relations between Canonical and GNOME devs were bad, and initial ideology of GNOME 3 wasn't so great/compatible with Canonical plans,..

And, it's a bit not nice, that Canonical tried to force it on users with Ubuntu,..

However,... Sometimes, sub-optimal and half-finished solutions can provide good experience and knowledge, which can be used to develop/contribute-to other mature project,... Sometimes, the journey of development is beneficial for future gain,...

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied
    Originally posted by Flohack View Post

There is one thing: We cannot afford any dispute over trademarks. FOSS stupid names are sometimes taken as the chance is high they would not infringe any worldwide registration. That´s really a big concern. UBports is a charitable foundation now under German law, you can be 100% that some lawyers would find it worth to pull us to court if we do any slight mistake with that. So we also did not check all trademark registers for Lorimi, but we are pretty confident to be worry-free for the next years.

So basically its my assumption that other projects have to do the same: This world is unforgiving when it comes to making quick money with trademark disputes. Better stay away from them.
    (emphasis mine)

I'm going to assume that was a quick typo and not the outcome of the *next* name change

Leave a comment:

• vb_linux
    replied
    One feature of Unity I liked was search through drop downs. For e.g. I could search for settings and it would even bring settings, you could search for hard to find features.

Is there any Gnome addon recommended by the community replicating that feature?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    The hate was always overblown.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

The hate was always overblown. Some of it came from elitist aholes who just liked to hate on Ubuntu because it was a "n00b" distro and others hated on Canonical whenever they tried to do something unique and independent. I personally didn't care for the whole Unity/"convergence" thing they tried to do, but I didn't hate on them for it. It was their choice.
    It was never overblown. Canonical tries to do things that harm the free desktop community (e.g. Mir, CLAs, Snap etc)

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Also to distance it from all the hate that usually (and rightfully) surrounds Canonical stuff.
    The hate was always overblown. Some of it came from elitist aholes who just liked to hate on Ubuntu because it was a "n00b" distro and others hated on Canonical whenever they tried to do something unique and independent. I personally didn't care for the whole Unity/"convergence" thing they tried to do, but I didn't hate on them for it. It was their choice.

Leave a comment:

• Flohack
    replied
    Originally posted by mos87 View Post
    FOSS projects take the cake when it comes to outrageously stupid names. Anyway it fits in this case.
    There is one thing: We cannot afford any dispute over trademarks. FOSS stupid names are sometimes taken as the chance is high they would not infringe any worldwide registration. That´s really a big concern. UBports is a charitable foundation now under German law, you can be 100% that some lawyers would find it worth to pull us to court if we do any slight mistake with that. So we also did not check all trademark registers for Lomiri, but we are pretty confident to be worry-free for the next years.

So basically its my assumption that other projects have to do the same: This world is unforgiving when it comes to making quick money with trademark disputes. Better stay away from them.
    Last edited by Flohack; 28 February 2020, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    not like killing a software with a really bad name who nobody remembers

Leave a comment:

• mos87
    replied
    FOSS projects take the cake when it comes to outrageously stupid names. Anyway it fits in this case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X